Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg !

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #31  
I have had a couple of close calls;now I wait until August to bush-hog.My nephew that works on a large dairy farm killed about 30 fawns this year(40' wide cutter maybe 5 mph),and it really bothers him.He probably "saved at least that many".

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #32  
Same here- was running the brush cutter and was about finished for lunch.
shut down the Rhino tractor and started back to the house and about 30 feet back from where the tractor was parked came upon a little spotted fawn, just curled up in the grass dead center in the just mowed path... didn't seem to have a scratch on it...

I felt so bad -carefully picked it up and was going to carry it over to the pet burial area and after about the 3rd step it's head popped up and bleat bleat bleat and jumped right out of my hands and ran off that was a close (shave) for it for sure. My day wasn't ruined and it got to use one of it's lives.

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #33  
Fawns and turkeys nesting have kept me from bush hogging a field next to a stream many a year.

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #34  
Not a fawn recently but a nest of turkey eggs...

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #35  
It's not uncommon to come back around and see a chopped up snake in the path of the last pass. Hate to see that, but you can't avoid them if you can't see them.

The strangest thing that happened to me was I had been working a number of hours moving a large pile of dirt that had been there for a couple of years, I came back for another bucket load when I saw this gofer. Apparently on the previous pass I had dug into his den and in doing so the bucket somehow caught his hide and completely ripped the skin off its body. His head was normal but on all of his body you could see the pink of his muscles. And it was clear that he knew he was in a life and death situation and amazingly the little guy was determined to stand up and fight to defend his home and family. As the tractor approached him he took a stance that would remind you of an attack dog. This little guy was snapping his teeth totally committed to fight the monster tractor to the death, and when the tractor was close enough he charged the right front tire and if I hadn't swerved I would have run him over. I continued working and didn't see the little guy again, and yea it was only a gofer but I felt bad about what had happened and absolutely amassed at how brave that little guy was.

You didn't put him out of his misery?

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #36  
I had the good luck to mow over a SKUNK!

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #38  
I had a close call a few years ago. I was bush hogging in reverse. Knee high grass and brush. The land was somewhat uneven, so I was paying pretty close attention to where I was going.

All at once I saw this fawn, probably hours old. It couldn't have been more than about 6 inches from the brush hog enclosure when I stopped. I turned off the tractor and walked to the house. When I came back a few hours later, it was gone.

What amazed me was, that with all the racket being made by both the tractor and the brush hog, that little guy stayed absolutely still. I'm so glad that he was saved.

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #39  
This didn't involve my tractor but was a first for me. I fell a large dead oak tree and started blocking it for firewood when this happened. I think maybe the fall of the tree knocked him out or maybe killed him. He was in a hollow part of the tree. Sawed him right in half. Couldn't figure out what was going on as blood, flesh and hair started coming out of the saw chips.

Wipe that smile off of your face. :)

For the fawns I have missed them so far but they really startle me. I have got some large field mice before in tall stuff.

/ Anybody ever run over a Fawn bush hogging..Uggg ! #40  
This happened about 10 years ago, right after I bought my place. I had made a small brush pile of some limbs a month or so earlier and decided that I would just run over it with the bush hog. When I made a turn around and came back, I saw the fawn cut in half. Evidently it was hiding in the brush waiting for mama to come back. I see lots of deer around my place but that was the only time I ran over one. Now all my overgrown areas are cleaned up so no place for them to hide. I have seen them bedded down not 100 yards from my back door at night. Really spooky with their red eyes glowing in the light. I bought a green LED light that they dont spook so much when you shine it on them. Supposed to be good for coyote hunting also.