Tires Filled tires or not?

/ Filled tires or not? #1  

sqdqo

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 492 w/Quicke Q750 loader
I've seen opinions on loading tires for counterbalance both positive & negative. I am trying to decide whether to fill or use weights. Opinions are appreciated.

/ Filled tires or not? #2  
This has been discussed many, many times here on TBN, you can do a search and read for a long long time. With that said, if your major purpose of your tractor is to mow lawns, then do not load your tires. Any other use, I would load the tires for sure. You just can not imagine the difference in how the tractor handles and how much more capable that it is with the tires loaded. :DAs far as wheel weights, they have an advantage, as that they can be relatively easy to remove. But the negatives outweigh that positive in my opinion.
If you really need the ballast, typically wheel weights just don't weigh enough,:( and they usually cost more than what it would cost to fill-load your tires.:(

I went the wheel weight option to start with, in fact I installed 4 sets to start with. I noticed a difference, but not enough for what they would normally cost.:mad: I then filled all four tires, oh my goodness, what a difference, it was like driving a different tractor.:D

I'm sure others will have different opinions.;)

/ Filled tires or not? #3  
There are two type of responders on this forum:
Those with experience
Those that like to write about what they read or dreamed.
For the first group you need to provide details, such as tractor size, type, location, climate , topology.
The second group will chime in regardless, telling how they have X small tractors that do anything.

My read on my SCUT - just make sure you've got the weight so it functions properly.
I use a backhoe for rear weight and a FEL for the front, plus a bunch of weights installed for the BH.
Get your tractor crosswise on a slope and practice tipping it over and recovering. Pull the most ground engaging equipment you've got and see if you've got traction.

You fill it's with the tire
You add weights you can take them off.

/ Filled tires or not? #5  
Like newbury said, a lot depends on what you're using with the tractor and what your land is like. I'm a skittish newbie (~ 35-40 hrs. seat time in my life) with some pretty steep land and I want to get that center of gravity as low as I can. Plus I have a front end loader and no backhoe, so again, I need weight in the rear; even with 4WD I can't get up hills with a load in the bucket without some weight in the rear.

Plus my owner's manual recommended filling them; so I did, and yes, it made a big difference. There are other ways, though, like weights, or ballast boxes hung off the 3 point hitch. Thus you can "simulate" the effect of filling your tires to see if it would make the difference that you require.

It's not ALL about weight in the back, it's more about balance. Too much weight in the back can be bad, too. My owner's manual had a recommended weight distribution, I forget what it is right now, but yours might as well.

I also keep my mower deck slung beneath for the most part. Again, it lowers the CG slightly and is a fairly well balanced "ballast."

Like the guy said, do a search and you'll find this subject hashed out in minute detail.

But if you do fill, I think there's this stuff called Rimguard that doesn't rust your rims like calcium chloride & other stuff can.

Last edited:
   / Filled tires or not? #7  
I filled my rear tires by default... I was tired of having flats spoil my weekend project time... so after 3 flats the first year I had them foamed filled which also adds weight...

Tractor is more stable the way is use it on my hill property and it stays put much better when I use the Backhoe...

BX23 and I don't use it for finish mowing...