Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground #1  

Patty Gilbert

Does anyone know why my little tractor keeps losing its ground. We got it started once and now it has lost its ground again and we cannot get it started again. Any suggestions?

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground #2  
Does anyone know why my little tractor keeps losing its ground. We got it started once and now it has lost its ground again and we cannot get it started again. Any suggestions?

When you say "losing it's ground" are you saying it won't stay running once it's been started?

Don

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground
No, that is not what I mean. It appears to be in the electrical system. My Brother and my husband checked it today and say it IS grounded. Do you own one of these tractors by any chance? Thanks for your reply. The battery is good and the starter works.

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground
We think it is between the ignition switch and the battery or the ignition switch to the starter and have not traced it down yet.

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground #5  
Maybe there's a wire that is frayed inside the insulation, but still looks like it's making a connection? Sometimes this will happen right where a wire is crimped onto a ring terminal, or maybe a Fast-on (push on) terminal. Vibration or a bad crimp to start with can cause this.

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground #6  
No, that is not what I mean. It appears to be in the electrical system. My Brother and my husband checked it today and say it IS grounded. Do you own one of these tractors by any chance? Thanks for your reply. The battery is good and the starter works.

Patty, I have one of those orange machines, not a cub...They all have a battery, starter and keyed switch...Turning the key to start, it starts? When you place the key in the normal run position once it's started it stops? Sorry for the questions but it's hard to troubleshoot over the internet sometimes...Were you able to pursue it any more today?

Don

/ Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground #7  
Move around the PTO switch while trying to start. Have to do that to mine sometimes.

After rereading post, this is if it is not turning over while trying to start.

Last edited:
   / Cub Lo Boy 184 losing its ground #8  
loosing ground? :)

make sure bat cables and terminal ends are good.. make sure conenctions at starter and start switch are good.. make sure connections to ignition is good. use jumper wires to bypass ignition if needed.

soundguy