Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull....

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull.... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
a Fred Cain 7-shank cultivator tool? We had one at the hunt club yesterday and I hooked it up to see how well it would pull it. With unloaded R4 bar tires and the tractor in 4x4, it wanted to spin a lot if the chisels dug too deep, or if one caught a large root (maybe 1" dia or so). The strip where I tried it had been bush hogged a week ago and I noticed that the top layer of brush and vegetation was piling up pretty thick in front of the shanks and it made it hard to judge how deep the chisels were digging. I kept having to pull the lift up so they wouldn't dig in too deep. Also, I think I should mention that we had 1 1/2 of rain the day before so I really think that had a lot to do with it spinning because the rears loaded up with wet dirt in between the bars and with nowhere for it go it just stuck to the tires. Soil type is typical for SC. I will also add that this particular spot we have only used disc harrows in the past, nothing that would get more than a 2-3 inches deep anyway. I'm going to hook it up again next weekend (if it's dried out some) and try it again.

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull.... #2  
I've always thought my 790 was too lite for the amount of power it produced.

Breaks traction too easily.

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull.... #3  
You got (2) problems, either of which would stop you from being effective on that cultivator. You got enough power but not enough weight nor the proper tread pattern to get the needed power to the ground. Loading the R4's may help a little but what would really do the job would be loaded R1's. The R4's will hold a little more liquid but not enough to make up for the particularly poor tread design for ground engaging work. I always say that R4's are best left on industrial sites for which they were designed. No tire type is responsible for more dissapointment with CUT owners. Chains on turfs will give you much better traction in mud or snow and R4's mark up grass nearly as bad as R1's.

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull.... #4  
You got (2) problems, either of which would stop you from being effective on that cultivator. You got enough power but not enough weight nor the proper tread pattern to get the needed power to the ground. Loading the R4's may help a little but what would really do the job would be loaded R1's. The R4's will hold a little more liquid but not enough to make up for the particularly poor tread design for ground engaging work. I always say that R4's are best left on industrial sites for which they were designed. No tire type is responsible for more dissapointment with CUT owners. Chains on turfs will give you much better traction in mud or snow and R4's mark up grass nearly as bad as R1's.

I agree 100%. R4's look good but that is about it on a tractor. They have their place but 99% of the time its not on a tractor. Traction and weight are where its at. I have seen 25 Hp tractors out work 50 Hp tractors just simply because of the tires and weight.

Chris

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull.... #5  
a Fred Cain 7-shank cultivator tool? We had one at the hunt club yesterday and I hooked it up to see how well it would pull it. With unloaded R4 bar tires and the tractor in 4x4, it wanted to spin a lot if the chisels dug too deep, or if one caught a large root (maybe 1" dia or so). The strip where I tried it had been bush hogged a week ago and I noticed that the top layer of brush and vegetation was piling up pretty thick in front of the shanks and it made it hard to judge how deep the chisels were digging. I kept having to pull the lift up so they wouldn't dig in too deep. Also, I think I should mention that we had 1 1/2 of rain the day before so I really think that had a lot to do with it spinning because the rears loaded up with wet dirt in between the bars and with nowhere for it go it just stuck to the tires. Soil type is typical for SC. I will also add that this particular spot we have only used disc harrows in the past, nothing that would get more than a 2-3 inches deep anyway. I'm going to hook it up again next weekend (if it's dried out some) and try it again.
It should do o.k. Just dont try to bury the thing full depth first time. Work the piece in a criss-cross fashion gradually working deeper. R-4s will still work but suck for real tractor work like, pull'n a cultivator, sub-soiler or a plow. I am able to pull with the 790 an old john deere model 15 sub-soiler threw well established wild rose bushes, small june berry and mountain maple brush in heavy clay at 18 inches deep without spinning out. If I let it sink to 24 inches well, three holes will be dug under the four R-1 tires, rears with rim-guard regardless of moister amount. The 790 has more power than traction/weight. A drier soil condition might help you by not having gumbo build between the lugs though....:D

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull....
THanks for all the replies. I was aware that the 790 was little bit light for the hp it had. I agree with you SD, I think it will do ok once the ground dries out a bit. I'm gonna try it again this weekend and see how it does. I think also I will try tilling with it in a different food plot just to see if that makes a difference too.

/ Should my 790 be enough tractor to pull.... #7  
My 18.5 hp 4010 pulls a 7 shank soil ripper, which is what they're calling a cultivator now, with the shanks all buried. This is in a previously plowed (3 or 4 years prior) garden. The soil ripper originally was used on an 18 hp JD M, which was about twice the weight as my 4010.

My 4010 has turf tires. The JD M the soil ripper came off of had R1 tires.

Ralph