Leveling a Field

/ Leveling a Field #1  

Farm.E.R

I have about 12 acres that I will be leveling over time. Initially, I want to level about 1.5 acres to flood irrigate... to leach out some salt. The land is relatively flat but in no-way could I flood it. I am new to this world...

I have a NH TC30... front end loader, 60" box scraper, 72" rock rake, post-hole auger, three point boom, middle buster, forks.

Are there any good books for novice wanna-bee farmers?

farmER

/ Leveling a Field #2  
I think you are going to have a very difficult time getting acre sized areas perfectly flat. The best approach is a bulldozer with a laser system.

I tried leveling the area out for a new barn, 48x62. I probably got it within a few inches. The contractor then came in with his dozer and laser and finished it off. Trying to do bigger areas would be even tougher unless you are going to have a foot or two of water to flood it with.

Ken

/ Leveling a Field #3  
I would first see if there is a Cooperative Extension office in your county and talk to the agricultural person about what works in your area. You can read what you want but it might not apply to your area. What area are you from?

/ Leveling a Field #4  
I have about 12 acres that I will be leveling over time. Initially, I want to level about 1.5 acres to flood irrigate... to leach out some salt. The land is relatively flat but in no-way could I flood it. I am new to this world...

I have a NH TC30... front end loader, 60" box scraper, 72" rock rake, post-hole auger, three point boom, middle buster, forks.

Are there any good books for novice wanna-bee farmers?

farmER

My neighbor flood irrigates three 10-acre alfalfa fields. To get these properly leveled and sloped, he uses a D-7 Cat and a 10-ft wide laser-controlled scraper. It's a big job.

First, he used an IH 4366 tractor and a multi-shank ripper to break up the hardpan down to 18-24 inches depth.

DSCF0052 (Small).JPG

Then he leveled and sloped with the CAT/scraper.

DSCF0207 (Small).JPG

DSCF0208 (Small).JPG

DSCF0215 (Small).JPG

Testing the flow over one of the 10-acre fields. The checks are about 105 ft wide.

DSCF0206 (Small).JPG

He spent the better part of two weeks on this particular field and ate a lot of dust in the process.

/ Leveling a Field
South Eastern Utah (Green River)

/ Leveling a Field #6  
So I found this:

Managing Saline Soils

Doesn't really look like you can 'leach the salt out' unless you install drainage under the field. Mostly you are just managing where the salt migrates to in order to move it away from your crops.

What do you plan on growing?

/ Leveling a Field #7  
Being a land surveyor, I have set alot of grade stakes in my day. It could be done with the equipment you have. I would have the ablity to do it because of my surveying skills, but I'm not a good enough operator. You would need to get some kind of level, probably a rotary laser and alot of practice and patientance. You would also need to look at an overall plan for your property. You wouldn't want to get the 1.5 acres perfect, only to find out later you have to change it if you want to make it larger.

I agree, if you have an ag office extension in your area, sometimes they will do that kind of work for free. Otherwise you might have to hire someone to design your site. There are probably companies that specialize in that kind of work in your area.

/ Leveling a Field
I have just gotten a rotary laser... I was going to put stakes in a grid pattern the width of my loader and box scraper (60")... I would mark each stake as either a "cut" or a "fill"... I'm sure it will be a learning process. Makes one appreciate terraced rice fields.

/ Leveling a Field #9  
I have just gotten a rotary laser... I was going to put stakes in a grid pattern the width of my loader and box scraper (60")... I would mark each stake as either a "cut" or a "fill"... I'm sure it will be a learning process. Makes one appreciate terraced rice fields.

Be sure to post pics and updates of your progress as you go. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is going to be very interested in how this project goes.

/ Leveling a Field #10  
You have the right idea, just make sure if you want to make the area bigger in the future, you look beyond the 1.5 acres. In other words, look ahead, you don't want crazy cuts of fills as you work you way out from the 1.5 acres.

I would start out with maybe fewer stakes than the width of your tractor, and put more in as you get closer to the grade you want. It is also possible to paint the ground as you go with cuts and fills, that way the lath don't get in the way. I think you will find a 50 foot grid to get started may work out well, your eyeball will allow you to fill in the gaps. Then maybe increase that to a 25 foot grid as you get closer to grade. Another trick is to take a few steps back and take a look as you go. Its tough to see the high and low spots with your eyes when you are on top of the job, but when you get back 100 feet or so, you will be able to see the high and low spots alot better.

Good luck.