Oil & Fuel Oil Color??

/ Oil Color?? #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
I checked my engine oil level yesterday and noticed the color was black/grey. Is that normal? My tractor has about 35 hours, bought new in May. I remember checking the oil back in early summer and dont remember it looking so dark. I'm rather green to diesel engines, this is my first, so I just wanted a 2nd opinion. My dealer told me (when I bought it) to bring it back at 50 hours and he would take care of all the maintenance.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jonathan

/ Oil Color?? #2  
Oh yea it turns BLACK right away for me.I believe its normal. someone else I am sure will explain

/ Oil Color?? #3  
Super, over simplified answer.

Well, you know that black puff of diesel that your tractor puts out in the first 10 seconds or so, when you fire it up? Well, the tractor is cold, the rings are cold. Everything MUST expand, to some degree, when it warms.

Meanwhile, the compression simply blows by, down into your crankcase. This is just part of the deal, especially during warm up.

Wipe your finger in your exhaust pipe. Do this when the pipe is cold !!!! ;)

Soot? Sure. Well, that's what's suspended in your oil too. No problem, until it exceeds the alloted time or becomes excessive. You are quickly approaching that time. Then, change your oil and filter and start all over again.

/ Oil Color?? #5  
Yep, oil in diesels turns black pretty quickly. As bp mentioned blow by on the rings. Here's an important difference between diesels and gas powered engines, because diesel has a higher sulper content than gas (even ULSD) the sulpher will combine with condensation in the engine to create sulphuric acid. This is why you need to run a diesel for a period to obtain normal engine temperature and keep it there for a period of time to evaporate the water out of the oil. When I owned a diesel truck and car (many years ago) the rule was if you only need to drive 2 miles or less go the long route. I had my wife drive about 10 miles out of her way just to go to the store. It paid off in longevity of the motors. Same goes for tractors. If you have to store your tractor for a long period of time IMO change the oil as the last step prior to storage. If possible change oil after engine has been run abit and is still warm, change oil run just long enough to circulate fresh oil, shut down and store.

/ Oil Color??
Do you apply this same theory to tractors. Most of my operating time is short intervals. 10mins or less. Go get a scoop of dirt, pick something up with fel, go check the mail (haha) etc..

/ Oil Color?? #7  
reduced run times are always the most problematic... ideally.. you would/could run the machine till all sumps came up to operating temps and flashed off extra moisture.. etc.

as for the original post and the 'grey' .. do keep an eye on that.. might just have been some moisture on the stick or watery emulsion in the stick tube... when water and oil are mixed.. it makes a milkshakey-looking emulsion... clean oil is yellow.. sooty diesel oil will be darker.. etc. as long as the oil is not emulsified.. but is just darkening.. that's quite normal on a diesel. and the older they are.. the faster it soots back up as it's nearly impossible to clean one out by flushing, vs a hottank.. etc.

soundguy

/ Oil Color?? #8  
Do you apply this same theory to tractors. Most of my operating time is short intervals. 10mins or less. Go get a scoop of dirt, pick something up with fel, go check the mail (haha) etc..

That's interesting ... I drive my tractor to the Post Office all the time to check the mail! Then again, I own the Post Office -- the building that is!

Joe :D

/ Oil Color??
Soundguy,

Its not milky grey. Its just really dark. Like I mentioned earlier, I've always had gas burners, ATVs, Mowers, etc. When the oil looked like this @ 35 hrs, something wasnt right.

Now yall have me more concerned about my operating temps, and warm up times. I live here in Louisiana, and humidity is nothing new. I'll probably start letting her warm a bit more.

Jonathan

/ Oil Color?? #10  
... My dealer told me (when I bought it) to bring it back at 50 hours and he would take care of all the maintenance.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jonathan

I wish my dealer had been that nice! Long story ... unhappy ending.

Joe