Air Filter Change

/ Air Filter Change #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
How often to you guys change your air filter. It got pretty dusty this summer when we cleared out some land. I used my tractor 15 hours or so in some real dusty areas. My dealer said just shake it out now and then. I took a look at it yesterday, bumped it a few times, cleaned out the trap in the bottom. Do I need to consider getting a new one. It was pretty nasty and the trap was 1/4 full. Let me know some opinions.

Thanks,

Jonathan

/ Air Filter Change #2  
Do you have a filter change indicator? If so that will give you an idea. Otherwise if you've only ran the machine for 15hours unless your in a volcanic ash storm or something as bad I doubt your ready to change filter. Like your dealer suggested tap the loose dirt out, clean your trap and drive on. Use your manuals suggested scheduled maintainence for when to change filter.

/ Air Filter Change
I dont have a filter change indicator.

It wasnt quite volcanic ash, but it as tough.:eek: Made wish for a cab. I figured it ok, just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks for the reply.

/ Air Filter Change #4  
some tractors have a vacume indicator on the air filter housing.. keep an eye on it.

My unit has an outter an inner filter.. manual says to change the outter as needed and inner every 2ys as needed.. since I love my engine.. I change the inner every year, same as the outter.. though I do check the sediment trap, and will blow the outter out if it needs it, inbetween service.

soundguy

How often to you guys change your air filter. It got pretty dusty this summer when we cleared out some land. I used my tractor 15 hours or so in some real dusty areas. My dealer said just shake it out now and then. I took a look at it yesterday, bumped it a few times, cleaned out the trap in the bottom. Do I need to consider getting a new one. It was pretty nasty and the trap was 1/4 full. Let me know some opinions.

Thanks,

Jonathan

/ Air Filter Change #5  
I think it really depends on hours of use and conditions. If you are running the tractor for example for snow removal in the winter your air filter should last a LONG time. But if you are doing a lot of dirt work in dry summer conditions it may need changing much sooner.

I would go by the owners manual.

/ Air Filter Change #6  
A very dirty air filter will make your tractor use more oil, so if you notice the oil level dropping you should change it.

/ Air Filter Change #7  
The air filter on my tractor is washable and per the manual, it can be washed in warm soapy water up to 6 times in its life. Manual says to change every 2 years but I change mine every year just because.

/ Air Filter Change #8  
Hi Jonathan,
I do like most guys when my air filter gets clogged up ... shake it out and blow it clean.
I usually do it regularly especially if I've been working in very dusty dirt work or when brush hogging. You can tell when your temperature gauge starts to climb that your air filter might be plugged.
I added a "Filter Minder" that reads when the filter starts to clog up. It works on a vacuum basis and is very easy to install. I just added one to my wife's tractor in this thread. It's the very first post in it along with some photos.
New Mods to Loretta's 284 Jinma
You can get them online or eBay.
Rob-

/ Air Filter Change #9  
Rob

How did you size the guage for Loretta's tractor? I see these guages come in 25 and 30 lb and cannot find how to properly size.

/ Air Filter Change #10  
I didn't know how to size it either.
I bought the 25 lb figuring it would be more sensitive. When the gauge starts to show some filter clogging, I check and clean the filter. I use it as an indicator and don't wait for the gauge to "fill up" to max.