JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #1  

southern83fire

I was wondering does anyone run a Bobcat A300 or similar skidsteer instead of a traditional CUT? I'm looking at a JD 4520 cab tractor fully loaded with about every feature available to make it as versatile as possible. But then I got to thinking that an A300 or maybe even one of their compact track loaders would be a better option. Even a basic A300 comes with alot to offer and can handle just about any task out there, even mowing the yard. Is anyone else running a skidsteer setup instead of a CUT?

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #2  
the ONLY reason i bought my tractor over a skidsteer is the ability to quickly drive down the road.

an a300 will lift more, push more, carry more, operate more attachments, blah blah blah. so will just about any skidsteer, tires or tracks. attachments are also much more readily available for rent, and the variety is so much greater. i work at a bobcat dealer, and we must have 500 individual skidsteer attachments, and probably 100 different actualy types of attachments.

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300
I can see where travel speed and things like cruise control can come in real handy for mowing large acreage and moving from one field to another. But to me having the most versatile machine is where it's at. I really like the A300 because of it's ability to be a skidsteer and yet not destroy my yard. If it weren't for that ability I wouldn't even consider it.

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #4  
These type of questions need way more information than you provided for anyone to give you a reasoned answer. Its like asking is an apple better than a orange...maybe if your baking an apple pie.;)

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300
I know it's comparing apples to oranges but for me I think the A300 would provide more options. For me my tasks would consist of mowing 5-6 acres, moderate land clearing, stone drive maintenance, and light tiller work for a small garden. I know a decent CUT could handle these tasks, but I'm a big DIY type of guy, so I want a machine that I can add any type of attachment out there so I can take on any future task.

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #6  
Apples & oranges comparison. Skidloaders are heavier duty all around purchase operating and maintenance along with work done per hr.

A shiny new CUT does many things well (and cheaper) but land clearing is not one of them. Price out replacement bent loader arms & buckets, hoods, roofs, broken cab glass, etc.

When friends & relatives stop in & want to help I put them in the skidloader simple to operate great front visibility and in your face dirt & debris. They go home tired, sweaty and wearing their "work."

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #7  
Never seen an A300 in the hayfield pulling a haybine or a baler... :)

AFAIK, you can't outfit an A300 with a PTO or 3 pt hitch? If you can, let me know, there's one sitting under my brothers barn that gets used about twice a year - I'd love to have an excuse to use it more!

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #8  
I know it's comparing apples to oranges but for me I think the A300 would provide more options. For me my tasks would consist of mowing 5-6 acres, moderate land clearing, stone drive maintenance, and light tiller work for a small garden. I know a decent CUT could handle these tasks, but I'm a big DIY type of guy, so I want a machine that I can add any type of attachment out there so I can take on any future task.

Well my Southern friend, if you want to buy a skidsteer and all the toys that go with it I say go for it! Just be sure to provide pictures. ;)

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #9  
Buy the tractor, for your needs I would not even consider a skid steer. The tractor will be far more verstale than the skid steer. I would not even consider cutting 5 to 6 acers with a skid steer, it would be a very slow process. You would need to pack a lunch, and dinner. Also keep in mind a A300 weights 8,673 lbs with no attachment. So add a 6 ft rotary cutter and your driving 10,000 lbs across your lawn.

You are correct in saying skid steers have many attachments to make them verstiale, but they are specialed attachments to do that one chore. Skid steer attachments are 2 to 3 times more expensive than tractor implements. A good medium duty 6 ft. rotary cutter (Bush Hog 286/296) will cost around $2,200 to $2,600, a 6 ft. cutter for a skid steer is in the $5,000 to $6,000 range.

/ JD 4520 vs Bobcat A300 #10  
I have never seem anyone mow a lawn with a skidsteer which leads me to believe that trying to do 5-6 acres might not be such a good idea. The skid steer may be a lot more efficient at some tasks but certainly not for mowing. That ammount of mowing pretty much forces you into the CUT. If you can swing 2 machines, then a skidsteer and a zero-turn mower would certainly be far more efficient at all tasks than a CUT.