Lifting plate steel with bucket

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #1  

esc_in_ks

I have a 360 lbs piece of plate steel, 6' x 4' in size. I need to lift it up about 38" high, then roll a work table underneath it, and then lower it down. I was thinking my L3400 would be up to the task. I have the Kubota factory bucket on here, but have never tried using my bucket like this before.

The bucket has no hooks or attachment points which are made for lifting, but I thought I can just wrap a heavy chain around the bucket. I don't mind drilling holes in the steel plate. I was thinking either 1 in the center, or one on each corner. I have some eye bolts I could temporarily install in it to use as lift points.

Is this going to work, or am I nuts. :confused: Anyone have any better ideas?

I'm way out in the middle of nowhere and am only anticipating one other person being with me, and they're not particularly strong.

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #2  
This is a good chance for you to get those bucket hooks welded on! Then, I think I'd slide one end of the plate steel in the bucket and leverage the other end up with a chain hooked onto the hooks, wrapped around the corners of the plate. :) Anyway, that's where I'd start and adjust the process as necessary.

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #3  
I have a 360 lbs piece of plate steel, 6' x 4' in size. I need to lift it up about 38" high, then roll a work table underneath it, and then lower it down. I was thinking my L3400 would be up to the task. I have the Kubota factory bucket on here, but have never tried using my bucket like this before.

The bucket has no hooks or attachment points which are made for lifting, but I thought I can just wrap a heavy chain around the bucket. I don't mind drilling holes in the steel plate. I was thinking either 1 in the center, or one on each corner. I have some eye bolts I could temporarily install in it to use as lift points.

Is this going to work, or am I nuts. :confused: Anyone have any better ideas?

I'm way out in the middle of nowhere and am only anticipating one other person being with me, and they're not particularly strong.

Slide bucket under one end of steel plate so that plate extends into bucket. Then C-clamp the plate to the bucket on both sides and pick it up. Works great. They pick up steel plate on forklift forks all the time like this at work. Need nice sturdy C-clamps for this.

Mark

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #4  
I have used good quality "C" clamps and nylon slings to lift things with the bucket. Put the clamp on the bucket so the body of the clamp is carrying the weight and not the screw. If you have a couple of shackles and drill the plate for them these will make a strong attachment point to lift with.
Regardless of how you lift the plate, or anything else with the FEL, don't allow yourself or others to go under the load. Hydraulics can fail and drop rapidly. Happened to me once, no harm done but I was startled how quickly it all happened. A hose burst on the bucket roll cylinder and dropped a bucket full of dirt.

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #5  
that is a good idea, another thought would be to use bucket forks if you have them. If not you may also consider lifting the plate up from the edge and getting some type of posts/4X4's/small logs underneath the plate and put one end of the posts in the bucket and chain onto the outer edges. THis could put too much weight extending in the front but with the entire plate outside the bucket it may be easier to place on work table.

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #6  
I use my FEL like that all of the time, you'll be fine. Take it slow as you move it.

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #7  
Whatever you decide to do...do it right the first time, for safety's sake.

I would opt for a hook(s) on the bucket, as NSBound suggested. You can have a hook welded on to the bucket or try the bolt on hooks sold by BXpanded. They are a bit pricey ($179 for 2), but they seem like they would work. Once the hooks are on you can decide what is the best way to hold the plate. I don't think I would put it into the bucket as there would be about 4' havging out, unless the 6' side will fit in. Eye bolts in the corners would work great.

Good Luck!

Jim in NH

Attachments

• hooks-back-black.jpg
    hooks-back-black.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 195
   / Lifting plate steel with bucket
Wow, guys, absolutely great advice. Thanks for the tips! Sounds like I have an excuse to buy some beefier C-clamps.

/ Lifting plate steel with bucket #9  
I dont know how big your tractor is but there is not much distance from the bucket to the front of the tractor on most, so if you sling it under the bucket your gonna have to be carefull not to bash the front of the tractor with it.