4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #1  

expressfish

Tractor
MAHINDRA 2015
I dont know if this makes sense, and again I am aiming for a 5ft shredder instead.........but. If I find a four footer at the right price Im on it. Will a four foot shredder cover more ground or get the job done faster than a 42" rider ?? I live on 3 acres and cant seem to bring myself to purchase a shredder other that for deer lease work or a few side jobs. Unless it will save me time mowing my own yard ??? It usually takes me the better part of 4 hours to mow three acres with a rider. Can it be done faster with my 20hp mahindra and shredder ?

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #2  
If you want to cut three acres of yard yes you will save time but if you mean a bush hog when you say shredder then you may not be happy with the finsih cut..it will be rough cut whereas a finishing mower also called a grooming mower may be what you mean. The bush hog or shredder as some call it is for brambles, brances, saplings etc. whereas the finish mower is just a larger version of the a mower deck and floats. With 20 HP I would suggest a 48" at least and hopefully you might be able to use a 60" otherwise you may not save much time just going from 43 to 46 inch.

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time
Thats somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking also. 6 more inches of cut isn't much more except I may be able to mow a little faster than a rider. When you say rough cut, it cant be that bad can it ?? I have mostly weeds/ Bermuda and the land is clear other than that. Ive seen how a brush hog / shredder cuts and its not that bad ?? I guess the only way to benefit would be to go with a 60" unit.

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #4  
Thats somewhat along the lines of what I was thinking also. 6 more inches of cut isn't much more except I may be able to mow a little faster than a rider. When you say rough cut, it cant be that bad can it ?? I have mostly weeds/ Bermuda and the land is clear other than that. Ive seen how a brush hog / shredder cuts and its not that bad ?? I guess the only way to benefit would be to go with a 60" unit.
The wider they are in relation to wheelwidth the more tendency they have to gouge at the outside edge in a quick turn. Unpleasant...
larry

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #5  
The speed you can travel has more to do with the smoothness of your yard and the number of obstacles. I think you should be looking for a finish mower. It will give you a better cut and require less horsepower. I have a 23 pto Hp B7800 and ran a 5 foot and then a 6 foot Land Pride mower. As long as you land is flat you should be able to run a 5 foot RFM. The land prides only require 16hp the caroni that agri supply sells says 15hp.

Another thing to consider is most finish mowers have 4 guage wheels to keep them from digging in and giving a better cut.

I'm cutting 3 acres with my 6 foot and am looking to upgrade to a 7 foot.

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #6  
I know what a bush hog is, and a finish mower, and a flail mower, but what is a shredder?

I ask because I don't use that word. I have heard it used in relation to chewing up limbs or leaves.

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time
That's just a term for a brush hog, rotary mower , ect---at least that's the word Ive heard from years here in Tx. Even in the classified adds here they refer to it as shredding. There are lots of adds worded this way. I do know that there are 4-5 different styles of cutting machines/implements out there. Shredding No Min/ No Max - $45 (San Antonio Area)
Date: 2009-08-29, 8:32PM CDT
Reply to: sale-ug3vx-1349330450@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Field Shredding No Min/ No Max
$$45.00 min. depending on conditions of land, brush, trash!
1 acre No Problem, still $45.00!>>>>>>>>> 10+ acres No Problem!

100% Satisfaction with work !
210-859-5559, Mario

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #8  
Most people around here advertise bush hog work. Don't see any reference to shredding, except, the shredders I am thinking about are the carbide tipped machines, with a shredder out front, and shred anything in the woods that you don't want, from trees to dirt..

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #9  

A brush hog (shredder) doesn't have the blade speed of a finish mower. Also the blades on a shredder are thicker. A shredder pretty much tears the grass off instead of cutting it. In a few hours the grass cut by a shredder will stand back up and look uncut. The finish mower snips grass off crisp and clean. A crisper, cleaner cut that will stay that way for a few days.

/ 4ft shredder vrs 42" riding mower--cut time #10  
In my neck of the woods, a shredder is an implement that has a drum with many metal flails hooked to it. When it spins, it shreds anything and everything. A rough cut mower is a Brush hog type implement.