Tips on keeping top link from backing off

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #1  

slan

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 HST
On my 3240 the top link keep backing off when either bush hogging or box blading. There is a lock nut but it would probably be great at stopping it from getting shorter but doesnt do @@#$% to keep it from backing off.:mad:

I even put a vice grip on the middle as a counterweight to attemp to stop it from rotating.:eek:

Is there something I am missing here or am I just having a brain fart?:rolleyes:

My next thing might be some 90/10 fine thread:eek:

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #2  
The only times I have that issue is when rototilling. Otherwise I just tighten it up with a 12" knucklebuster and it stays put.

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #3  
tighten the heck out of the locking nut against it, that's the only thing I can think of

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #4  
   / Tips on keeping top link from backing off #5  
A second locknut may help. Otherwise as others have said, tie something thru the center hole to keep it from turning.

I used nylon quick ties. :D

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #6  
Made this latch this summer to keep my top link from backing off

Attachments

• 100_6532.jpg
    100_6532.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 475
  • 100_6533.jpg
    100_6533.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 100_6535.jpg
    100_6535.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 304
   / Tips on keeping top link from backing off #8  
On my 3240 the top link keep backing off when either bush hogging or box blading. There is a lock nut but it would probably be great at stopping it from getting shorter but doesnt do @@#$% to keep it from backing off.:mad:

Had the same problem with my JD 790. The top link has only one locking nut that is shaped like a rain drop. I bought a plastic/rubber mallet and beat it tight without damaging anything. Works to beat it loose to. Never had it loosen up on it's own that way. The mallet fits in a slot on the left side of the 3pt under the lift arm so it is always ready to use.

Last edited:
   / Tips on keeping top link from backing off #9  
I like you hidy place for the mallet! I might have to copy that on my 790. Thanks!

/ Tips on keeping top link from backing off #10  
Have to use the hard end to transfer enough force to the locking nut to keep it tight.

kebo, have to use a mallet with a thin handle that will fit in the slot. I found one at HF (have since seen the same cheap Chinese mallets at other stores). At first the end of the rubber grip was slightly flared so it was to large to fit in the slot on the back of the tractor. I just trimmed the flare down with a pocket knife. I keep a crescent wrench in the slot on the other side to use on the locking nut of the adjustable lift link. The lift arms have to be raised all the way to get the mallet or crescent in/out of the slots but that is not a problem.

Here is the mallet that worked for me:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices