Gears Grinding

/ Gears Grinding #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
I hope this isnt a brand specific question, but I have some questions about shifting gears on my Mahindra 2816. Its a gear tranny with Constant mesh on gear shift and sliding mesh on range selection. What does this really mean? Is is sycronized or Not. I live down a long (1/2 mile) road with about 3 hills to pull. I like to shift for 2nd to 3rd without stopping everytime. When I try to shift it grinds about 50% of the time. Should this be happening? My owners manual said that you do not have to stop to change gears, only ranges. Could someone shed some light on my situation. Thanks,

Jonathan

/ Gears Grinding #2  
Dont know your model specifically but have you tried double clutching? Push the clutch in and go to neutral, let out the clutch, clutch again go into gear, let out the clutch.......Good luck.....Dennis

/ Gears Grinding #3  
I believe that shifting without stoping is intended for flat ground. Even though tractor shifters and automotive shifters seem like they should work the same they don't. My JD says the same thing but it only works on level ground. IMO best bet is to chose a gear and range that is a compromise to what you're doing and leave it there.

Good Luck.

/ Gears Grinding #4  
I just cant imagine any road in central Louisiana that would have a hill so steep that your tractor would not pull it in high gear. Sure the engine might lug a bit, but as long as it isnt severly stalling the engine, I wouldnt bother to downshift. But regarding the grinding, I dont know of any mechanical gear tractor that doesnt grind the gears a little when shifting unless you are completely stopped. You can minimize it some by trying to match the throttle setting when shifting. I mean that if you are downshifting try using the foot throttle to raise the rpm up to what you would expect to have the throttle set at to maintain the speed of travel> IF upshifting, let the engine idle down a bit before shifting. That will minimize the grinding. Use this along with the double clutch technique and it should work much better

/ Gears Grinding #5  
I don't know if this helps but with my tractor when I try to shift on the fly, I have to do it slowly or the gears grind. I know they are supposed to be syncronized but they still won't shift quickly.

/ Gears Grinding #6  
I suggest shifting only when you are wearing your double clutching boots, two speed gloves, and chain drive billfold. ;)

/ Gears Grinding #7  
Verify in your manual. Most gear tractors are made to work in one gear at a time. Ie, if you change gears, you stop, change gears, and go again. They are not like a stickshift in a car/pickup.

/ Gears Grinding #8  
Downshifting, that is why I love my Yanmar powershift. I have 3 forwards, neutral and reverse in each of 4 gear ranges. I usually bushhog in 3rd gear range F 3, then if I hit a tough spot I have 2 lower gears to get to before shifting to neutral if it really gets to stalling me down, then it is back up to f 3 as soon as the load lightens. Shuttle shifts are ok, just a little better than standard, but powershifts are awesome.

/ Gears Grinding #9  
I can tell you for certain that your transmission IS NOT synchronized. That tractor, which is the big sister to my tractor (2015) needs to be completely stopped for range changes, and gear changes. BUT as the previous posts said, you can (with practice or truck driving experience) get it to upshift or downshift on the fly with little on minimal gear clash by double-clutching. Not recommended though. I agree with picking a good compromise gear.

I drive for a living, and still have a little trouble doing it. The reason is that the "overlap" in the gearing isn't big enough. What I mean is that the engine rpm won't usually drop fast enough to catch the next gear, because the tractor is slowing down faster than the engine. (unless you're going downhill, and then... ... why would you be upshifting?)