Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need help! tractor bush hog horse power?

I have a 52 hp kubota and I want a 8ft bush hog 3008 mower witch requires 50 or more hp to run will that bog my tractor down or will it have enough power?

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

Default Re: need help! tractor bush hog horse power?

Very probably you have plenty of horsepower. The general rule of thumb around here is 5 hp (pto) per foot of rotary cutter.

Of course it depends on what you are cutting. I used to run a 6' cutter with a 39 pto hp and never had a problem with it cutting.

The other thing to watch is the weight. How heavy is the cutter? What is your 3 pt rated for?

Ken

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Ken45101 View Post
    Very probably you have plenty of horsepower. The general rule of thumb around here is 5 hp (pto) per foot of rotary cutter.

Of course it depends on what you are cutting. I used to run a 6' cutter with a 39 pto hp and never had a problem with it cutting.

The other thing to watch is the weight. How heavy is the cutter? What is your 3 pt rated for?

Ken
    5 HP per foot is a good rule of thumb. I would consider that the minimum though. As Ken45101 said watch the weight on your three point. If the front tires aren't touching the ground when you lift it that would be a concern.

Tractor
    Case IH JX80,Kioti DK45S

You will be fine. I have ran an 8 footer on my Kioti DK45 before without a problem. It (Kioti) is rated around 38hp at pto and it had no problem with anything that I put it through.
    '07 Case IH JX80 w/FEL
    '07 Kioti DK45S w/FEL
    Cat D3 dozer
    Way too many implements/attachments to list!

The bush hog 3008 weighs 1600 pounds and a min of 50hp. I also was lookin at a kodiak 10ft 1400 pounds and also requires 50hp. My tractor is a kubota mx5100 with fel and 52 hp and can lift 2300 pounds on the 3pt

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

HP and three point capacity doesn't always go hand in hand. Just because you have the HP doesn't mean you have the three point capacity. Yeah, you can lift it. But is it going to explode the back end of your tractor all over the mower? One has to have the HP to run it and three point capacity to lift it. Takes a bit of research.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L5030 cab, JD 2940

Flat land or hilly land?
    What type material will you be cutting?
    I have seen conditions where a 60 hp tractor can operate a 15ft mower and other conditions where an 8ft mower took everything that an 80hp tractor could offer.

Its all flat land tall grass small trees brush 1 to 2 inch. I wanna 8 or 10 ft bush hog heavy duty but I don't wanna be boggin the tractor down I have a 6 ft hog now and u can't tell its back there even when cuttin 3in trees

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

If you get into extra heavy stuff that bogs the mower down, you can always shift into a lower gear. You'll make slower progress, but you will make it through.

Actually, the MX5100 is only 44 hp PTO. Following the 5 hp min per foot of cutter rule of thumb, you should still be okay although you may have to gear down if you are in some heavy stuff. It may also help to keep the blades sharp ;-)

Ken

Tractor
    kubota L 3540 hsdc,B 2320 hsdc & lots of other stuff!

5 hp per ft seems to be the industry standard for good performance, i run close to 6 hp per ft & rarely bogg down.
    We have done so much, for so long,with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast