Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #1  

2020racer

I tipped over my Kubota 5740 on it's left side. I immmediately turned it off. When we got it back upright it would not start. It initially turned over and almost started. But the second time I tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over at all. It acts like the motor is locked up. Any Advice on what to do?

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #2  
You've got oil in the cylinders. You can wait a long time for it to drip back into the crankcase, or pull the injectors and turn the motor over to clean the cylinders out. Oil doesn't compress, so starting it with oil in the cylinders could cause alot of harm.

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #3  
Make sure when you pull the injectors you have the fuel cut off before trying to start to prevent pumping fuel all over the place. After you get the oil out you will have to reprime the fuel system.

Chris

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up
If I wait 24 hours is that long enough? If not, how long should I wait?

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #5  
G'day if you want to be truly sure that the oil is gone pull the injectors there is no way of telling if 24 hr is long enoough time to wait or not. You can wait that long but i would want to turn the eng over by hand rather than by starter at the beginning that way you can feel what is going on. Best of luck with it :)

Jon

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #6  
Sounds like the engine may be hydrolocked. Pull the injectors, cut the fuel off, and turn it over until it's clear. Be sure not to stand in around the cylinders, it can make quite the mess.

It sounds like you tried to start it after uprighting the machine, but without pulling the injectors. It's too late now, but be aware that can do a lot of damage to an engine. You'd be very surprised at how easy it is to bend the piston rods trying to start a hydrolocked engine.

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #7  
Yep, hydrolocked. I hardcore Jeep. I've saw several engines ruined by operators trying to start them after being on their lid. Don't try to start it again until you have vented the cylinders and pumped the oil out by turning it over with the starter while injectors are removed. :eek:

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #8  
kubotas do not have compression release levers? I do not know yanmars do and i would just pull the compression release for a few laps, sit for a couple of minutes do it again and then start it. MUCH MUCH easier than pulling injectors.

I also have seen at least one engine ruined by trying to start it with oil on the top of pistons. When I got there and cleared the oil the damage was already done--it threw a rod in the next couple of days--right through the side of the block.

You can do it another way if you do not have compression release. Take the valve cover off, turn it over by hand until it gets hard, with a block of wood push down each exhaust valve and try turning it further. You will learn which cylinder is the culprit. Keep turning it by hand until all is clear.

One warning. If you had it running and then it locked up I am afraid that the damage may already be done. But that sounds like the oil was lying in the intake and was subsequently drawn into the engine. So it would be good to remove the intake to eliminate the source of additional oil.

Good luck.

Mike

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #9  
I tipped over my Kubota 5740 on it's left side. I immmediately turned it off. When we got it back upright it would not start. It initially turned over and almost started. But the second time I tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over at all. It acts like the motor is locked up. Any Advice on what to do?

You should be ok. With help from a dealer I was up and running soon.
Timely as this past spring I did the same thing and it is fully documented. What other have said is correct.

The Flip
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/safety/145119-big-flip.html

Starting After The Flip
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chinese-tractors/145120-df354-starting-after-big-flip.html

Good Luck!

Dave

/ Kubota tipped over-Engine locked up #10  
Some do. My older '85 B8200 does.

kubotas do not have compression release levers? I do not know yanmars do and i would just pull the compression release for a few laps, sit for a couple of minutes do it again and then start it. MUCH MUCH easier than pulling injectors.