reversing front wheels

/ reversing front wheels #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
I have a 7260 Cub Cadet with R1 tires and a front loader. I asked my dealer about reversing the front wheels to widen them (manual illustrates how to widen back wheels) and allow them to track with the back wheels. My dealer said it wasn't advisable to widen the front wheels. I e-mailed Cub Cadet and their tech rep said it was perfectly OK. Who do I believe?

/ reversing front wheels #2  
Well, lets see, the dealer is the guy yer gonna be yelling at when you blow a bearing or waste a spindle, and you will.
The "Factory Teck" will be working someplace else, and will never meet you again, even on the phone.
You ain't the first guy to get this idea, so the dealer has dealt with the situation before. The Teck probably doesn't get closer to tractors than looking at pictures on a computer screne.
BELIEVE THE DEALER!

/ reversing front wheels #3  
Who you believe is, in the end, up to you. But when i reversed the wheels the increase in stability was greatly appreciated

/ reversing front wheels #4  
George:

I agree with you, and have over twenty years of staying on 4 wheels to prove it.

/ reversing front wheels #5  
Moreover,
I am prepeared to wear the cost of higher maintenance/repairs for reversing wheels to avoid the cost of balancing the tractor on my head.

/ reversing front wheels
Thanks for the input. I don't relish the idea of looking up to find 2800# of tractor sitting on me either. Just seemed a little strange that the dealer would suggest not doing it, yet the manufacturer says it's not an issue.

/ reversing front wheels #7  
I have the 7360 and thought about doing the same thing. I probably wouldn't do it if the manual didn't offer it as an option. It's not like the dealer can refuse to honor the warranty if something goes. It's a reasonable configuration for the tractor.

One disadvantage to widening the front however is an increase in steering radius. However, the added stability should greatly diminish this downside...

- G

/ reversing front wheels #8  
You have to remember that a wider stance on the front wheels does not increase a tractors stability unless you are on rough enough terrain that the front axle is pivoted all the way against the stop. Under normal conditions the tractors chassis is supported at three points: the two rear tires and the center pivot on the front axle. Wider rear tires will be much more effective at increasing side-to-side stability.

/ reversing front wheels
My property is so steep that sometimes I think I would be better off with a crawler.
The manual illustrates how to set the back wheels for a wider stance. However, it doesn't show how to do this for the front, though it is obvious how to do so. I was just curious if others had done this without incurring a busted axle. I used to have an old Farmall 200 that I widened to the max and didn't think twice about doing so. For some reason, I am more cautious of my compact. Maybe it's because I could buy 7 1/2 old Farmalls for what the compact cost???
Thanks again.