john deere transmission problems

/ john deere transmission problems #1  

keegan1

John deere 4115 - going on 5th gear box in 4 years for midmount mover, also told that transmission for pto is bad.
also two hydr lines wore out. This tactor is like new primary use mowing, 360 hours. It time John Deere stand by product.

Anyone know anything about bad transmissions and or 60" mm mower problems.

thanks

/ john deere transmission problems #2  
Typically, gearbox problems...or "constant" issues like you mention are the result of "not fixing the true cause"...you are just repairing the "symptom" all the time... I'd bet there is something else amiss...

FIL had a similar "constant issue" with his F911....would burn thru Front PTO Drive shaft bearings at the rate of 2-3 a year..the last time he also noticed the PTO shaft splines were worn out...
Turns out the "true cause" of all the issues was the PTO Drive shaft was misaligned too far rearward...when the deck would lower as it followed the contours of the ground the shaft couldnt extend far enough...essentially the PTO shaft was acting as a "stop chain" and the weight of the deck, etc.. was hanging off the shaft... This spring he aligned the PTO Drive shaft, replaced the PTO shaft and replaced the front & rear bearings...
Been 300 hours of mowing since and its still smooth as silk...

/ john deere transmission problems
Thanks for replying,

I have questioned failure as a sympton of something else. I have asked for a new mower, no response. JD dealer has replaced 4 previous gear boxes at no charge. Two years ago they replaced the gearbox, mowed 10 min. broke. The service truck did not even get back to shop, 15 min away. I questioned the likelyhood that the new gear box would just break, or that something else caused it to break. No real answer. Broke the following year/replaced and just broke 5 days ago. However, as you have stated, the gear box failure appears to be a symptom and not the problem. It is in the shop, stay tuned.

Any comments would help, any suggestion on demanding JD rep to review record and replace my lemon.

/ john deere transmission problems #4  
I hear you can get a good deal on a blue tractor these days.

But seriously.. 360 hours onthat machine and THAT many problems.. the darn thing's not even broke in good yet.

I hope somebody rakes care of that issue for you..

soundguy

/ john deere transmission problems #5  
If I was in your shoes I'd be contacting corporate and explain the issues. Also I'd check with the BBB and see if there is any problems with your dealer.

Just a thought.

/ john deere transmission problems #6  
I have the 60MMM on my 4110 and have never had any problems...I changed the oil in the gearbox last year and the old oil was clean and clear. Been using it for 5 seasons now...I have also never heard of any similar problems here on TBN.

/ john deere transmission problems #7  
A friend of mine has a 4110 with a mid mount mower. The gearcase on the mower deck broke twice before he figured out what was going on. He used it around the farm and on occasion was mowing field ditches. On one approch he mowed, the mower deck was being pushed up into the tractor which bent the PTO shaft causing vibration which in turn took out the gearbox and the PTO outshaft from the transmission. Might not be your situation but worth mentioning.