Little old fashion.

/ Little old fashion. #11  
Deepndirt, Here's Pic of one like we had. It's a WD 45. The drum on the side is what we would attach the belt to when we would grind feed. We might be talking about two different things.:confused::D

Jay

Attachments

• 73919275.jpg
    73919275.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 125
   / Little old fashion. #13  
That big wheel on the JD is just a flywheel. You could use that to start it with rather than a crank. THere was also a flat belt pulley/hand clutch assembly on the opposite side that could be used with a completely exposed belt (very dangerous) that was used for pulling saws, mills etc.

/ Little old fashion. #15  
Deepndirt, Here's Pic of one like we had. It's a WD 45. The drum on the side is what we would attach the belt to when we would grind feed. We might be talking about two different things.:confused::D

Jay
I guess there were many uses for that drum/wheel/pully/crank,PTO etc,
I was'nt around to actually see these things in action doing these sort of task,
I only remember the one My Grandpa had back in the mid 60's and as 8-9 year old boy will ask 1000 question i remember asking about this thing on the side and what it did ? He replied to me "its the brake" I think the tractor was from the late 30's or early 40's John deere, he kept this old thing on up into the mid 70's, he got to old to get up and down on it, i think he trade for a farmal, me Being in my teens by then I like the looksof the Fords so I told him to get him a ford but He always reply he would'nt have a Ford 8n he'd go back plowing with a mule first,:rolleyes:
Old Folks! :D Hmmm ! But wait come to think of it! I'm no spring chicken...

I fount a picture of one very like the one he had,

Last edited:
   / Little old fashion. #16  
My first tractor solo was on Farmall H when I was tadpole early 60's ;) thru the decades on different types of tractor except for 8N each model had muffler/shack verical,L2800 first tractor I've own w/hidden muffler...still there times when operating feeling something missing than it comes to me..oh yeah hidden muffler ;) just something about tractor w/vertical stack above the hood. :)

If you were really good and the wind was right, you could catch the tin can when you fired up the motor. :D:D:rolleyes:

You also reminded me of lighting cigs on the exhaust manifold of an old Minnie I drove for a guy.
Dave.

/ Little old fashion.
missourithunder
"You couldn't have said it better."

That's eye caughter also stroll over for closer look. :)

/ Little old fashion.
Dave
"If you were really good and the wind was right, you could catch the tin can when you fired up the motor.

You also reminded me of lighting cigs on the exhaust manifold of an old Minnie I drove for a guy."

Catch the can..I was never lucky enough catch soup can,for I was more concern of kick back from the hand crank,but rolling jump start ran over the can more than once. ;)

Never try lighting cigar that way,but lite damp stick match tho.you had to be pretty special back than to own Zippo lighter. ;)

/ Little old fashion. #19  
There was a time that tractors had a "Belt Horsepower" rating. About the mid 50's that switched over to "PTO HP."

We used belts on thrashing machine and grain grinders mostly. A few were used on saws also.

/ Little old fashion. #20  
Grew up with a John Deere G.P. steel lug hand clutch and flywheel only method of starting.
Burned tractor fuel not gas or diesel guess no longer sold.
To start making sure the hand clutch was released. drain the carb. of tractor fuel and open the gas day tank to fill carb. then open the piston pet cocks on each side. with one foot on the steel lug wheel and both hands turning the flywheel with quick spin until it started.Then shut the pet cocks off.switch the fuel to tractor fuel. remember how the exhaust on a quite day would blow smoke rings into the air when the engine was running at idle. This tractor when plowing was able to stand up to relieve the hours of sitting on a steel seat with little spring action.
The belt pully was used for running a hammer mill to grind feed for cattle and also to run a saw mill to cut railroad ties and lumber from the oak trees growing on the farm.
There was no safety precautions or warnings of getting injured operating it was something just knew to be careful working around it. Still safer than the Mules to work around.

ken