Winter..

/ Winter.. #1  

jd2305cd

Silver Member
First winter with my 2305, anything i need to do before winter hits? Going to use for plowing my drive way this winter.

Thanks --Craig

/ Winter.. #2  
Craig,

There was a recent post, last couple weeks that addressed this issue. I would say do any fluid changes that may be coming up, perhaps using lighter weight oil for Winter, check antifreeze, make sure glow plugs are working, consider adding block heater if you do not have one, and perhaps most important is to use an additive to Winterize your fuel to prevent gelling and raising cetane to aid in starting. You did not say what part of the country you live in and whether Winters are hard or mild. Good luck with your machine this Winter.

/ Winter.. #3  
I live in vt the winters are hard one thing I have done is get a spare fuel filter and sediment bowl for my tractor I keep one inside the house just in case so I can switch a dry warm one out if I need to.

/ Winter..
I looked for that other thread, didn't see it though.. At any rate, i am in Upstate NY, winters are cold and snowy.

So for my check list,

Fuel treatment
change oil, lighter weight
possibly spare fuel filter / bowl
check glow plugs

/ Winter.. #5  
I looked for that other thread, didn't see it though.. At any rate, i am in Upstate NY, winters are cold and snowy.

So for my check list,

Fuel treatment
change oil, lighter weight
possibly spare fuel filter / bowl
check glow plugs

the post I was referring to is under Kubota owning and operating and is still on first page and is called WINTERIZE THE KUBOTA.

/ Winter.. #6  
I push with my 2210. I bought V-bar 2-link chains for the rear tires. But I'm on unlevel grades and often on hard packed snow. Would find myself with my nose downhill and unable to back up without chains. I rarely use 4wd when running the chains on the back.

I don't worry so much about the fuel or oil issues but my JD is spoiled and lives in a 70 degree shop. Takes me about an hour to clear snow. My fuel doesn't have time to gel. ;)

/ Winter.. #7  
JD -- two other quick thoughts -- plug in heater and thinner hydraulic fluid. While glow plugs work, if you plug in a diesel for a half hour or so it will start a lot better:p. Sometimes in cold conditions, Hydro fluid takes a while to function properly, hence the lighter grade comment.

/ Winter..
Thanks for the advice.. Found some stuff in the online manual too, basically engage grow plugs before starting and let her warm up..

Cold Weather Starting Aids

Recommendations:

• Turn key to ON position for 3 seconds to activate glow plugs.

• Install optional engine coolant heater if you operate machine in temperatures below -18? C (0? F).
Warming and Idling the Engine

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! In cold weather, run engine several minutes to allow engine oil and transmission oil to warm.

NOTE: It is normal for the engine to be louder and for blue-white exhaust smoke to be present during engine warm-up. The amount of exhaust smoke depends on air temperature.
Warming Engine:

• Lock the park brake.

• Set hand throttle lever to the 1/2 fast position for 5 minutes without load.
Idling Engine:

• Adjust hand throttle lever rearward to set engine speed at 1200 ± 50 rpm (slow idle speed).

/ Winter.. #9  
Just read manuel maybe talk w/your dealer and keep the diesel fresh.

/ Winter.. #10  
Its one thing to have a block heater, but make sure that you have somewhere handy to plug it in as well. Trying to find a decent extension cord at 6am the first blizzard can be frustrating....
I have three separate heaters on my JD4300. A dealers block heater, a rad hose heater and a battery heater. When its -30C I throw the switch that turns on the outside plug and an hour later it fires right up (without using the preheat). Still let it run to warm the hydro fluid.
I also keep a battery charger and booster cables handy in the garage...