Rollover angle of a JD 3720

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #1  

Riderguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Hi folks, I'm a new tractor owner (JD 3720/300CX FEL/Frontier RC2060 cutter) and have been curious about one thing in particular. Does anyone know the maximum slope allowed before the JD3720 will roll over? I see TractorByNet sells a tiltmeter, but without knowing the critical angle that the tractor will start to roll, it doesn't do me much good.

I figure you folks have a library of knowledge, so I am asking the experts.

Thanks,
Scott

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #2  
There's too many variables for there to be an answer here.... tire sizes, tire weights, filed tires, implements in use, FEL present, FEL's height, weight of material in the FEL etc etc...

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #3  
Well, I don't intend to find out, but loaded tires and keeping the loader bucket as low to the ground as possible will help tremendously in cross-ways slope traversing stability.

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #4  
WH401,

That's a very important question for any operator & I don't know the answer.

I don't even know the answer for my machine, with my tires, with my FEL, with whatever 3pt implement I happen to have on the back at the moment, with however soft the soil is today and how big the 'chuck hole I'm about to drop my downhill front wheel into may be.

Here's question for you: If someone told you it was xx.xxx degrees and you had a tiltmeter, what angle would would you feel safe driving at?

You will hear a lot about "pucker" around here. In pucker I trust, but I'm also "inclined" to avoid doing anything that even hints at pucker. Keep your ROPS up & your seatbelt on. Take it easy and you will gradually develop a sense of when your machine starts to feel "tippy". Try to develop that sense with great care for yourself and the people close to you.

Sorry it's such a lame response to such an important question, but based on my very limited experience, it's the best I can do.

-Jim

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #5  
WH401,

I don't even know the answer for my machine, with my tires, with my FEL, with whatever 3pt implement I happen to have on the back at the moment, with however soft the soil is today and how big the 'chuck hole I'm about to drop my downhill front wheel into may be.

Here's question for you: If someone told you it was xx.xxx degrees and you had a tiltmeter, what angle would would you feel safe driving at?

You will hear a lot about "pucker" around here. In pucker I trust, but I'm also "inclined" to avoid doing anything that even hints at pucker. Keep your ROPS up & your seatbelt on. Take it easy and you will gradually develop a sense of when your machine starts to feel "tippy". Try to develop that sense with great care for yourself and the people close to you.

Sorry it's such a lame response to such an important question, but based on my very limited experience, it's the best I can do.

-Jim

As far a specific angle your guess is as good as mine, I go by "feel" as you do. If you wanted to base if off a tilt meter than you could say 15 degrees, since that's about the rating at which the meter starts to go into the "caution" area.

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #6  
WH401,

-Jim

That is the correct answer, if not the scientific one........

Each situation, slope, surface condition, etc has its own set of variables that go into the linear equation....... By the time you figure out the answer, you are already in trouble.

Lift a tire, with a load up front and you will never forget the taste of "pucker factor". Rock her just a bit, turning up hill and that is enough to remind you she will kill you in a heart beat if you "cheat" on her.

You doing something dangerous where rollover is a remote possibility??????? Do what you have to to make sure you stay with her if she goes over, and the ROPS stays up........ believe me, you CANNOT get off in time.

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #7  
I can tell you that for me, the angle I can tolerate is less than it used to be. You need some margin for rocks, shifting loads, terrain changes, etc. My pucker meter got re-calibrated for life in under three seconds. Somewhere between 10 and 15 degrees I'll get that funny feeling and I just stop and think.
I know what everyone is saying is vague and probably not the answer you're looking for. I hope that in time everything said here will be wisdom that you posses, and that you come by that wisdom without trauma.

Pete

Attachments

• kabota_tipped1.jpg
    kabota_tipped1.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 676
   / Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #8  
Judging by the highway workers that mow the right-of-way it appears to be a lot more than I'm willing to try. My BIL used to mow for the state and it seems like I've seen him on his farm tractor at 30 degrees.

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #9  
Judging by the highway workers that mow the right-of-way it appears to be a lot more than I'm willing to try. My BIL used to mow for the state and it seems like I've seen him on his farm tractor at 30 degrees.

I agree with you...I watch these county and state DOT highway folks on the right of ways and they are at least 30 deg or more and they move along at a good clip...all they need it to hit a rock with an uphill rear tire or a chuck hole or depression with a down hill tire and they go over. The only ones that might be safer would be the ones with a 15 foot batwing behind them. I see them and I do not know how they do it , much too dangerous for me. Slow and easy and err on the caution side.

/ Rollover angle of a JD 3720 #10  
I can't add much to what others have said. I do have a tilt meter and it just gives a very rough guide line to what's going on. I have glanced at it when I felt safe and it read 13-15 degrees and other times when the pucker factor was in "High Alert" and it measured maybe 10 degrees. :eek:

My next investment is rimguard. The L3400 with R4's are pretty narrow tractors so my quess is it may be of more benefit on my tractor than some wider models.