I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible?

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #1  

stravis

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 John Deere 5101E Limited
I recently bought a John Deere 5101. I bought a larger than I need tractor so that I wouldn't ever wish for something larger. I needed about 75hp or so to run a bat wing mower, but I also have a lot of smaller work to do as well. My previous tractor was a 1974 Ford 3000 (47 hp). The majority of my implements are cat I. No problem as my new JD has cat I or II hitch.

Here is the problem, for some of the implements, the hitch doesn't seem to go far enough down. The most significant I've found is the box blade. I have a 5' King Kutter box blade. I have two driveways I'm putting in. First step was to use the rippers and rough up the first driveway. I hook up the box blade and tighten the top link to bring the rippers down and the back blade up. I climb on the tractor and lower the 3ph all the way and the rippers don't even touch the ground unless the back tires go into a dip. So I lower the rippers to their lowest setting. Now they barely touch, but the back blade is nowhere near the ground. After roughing it up some, I raise the rippers, but in order to use the blade on the back I have to extend the top link almost all the way which makes the blade on the back tilted to the point that it works, but doesn't work like it should be.

Obviously the lower lift arms are just too high off of the ground even at their lowest setting. Is there any way to change that? Is the solution to get a larger box blade which is made for a cat II hitch?

Thanks for the help.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #2  
a 5' box blade is for a twenty something hp tractor.. Yes.. you really ned a larger box for your larger tractor.

that said.. many times there are multiple holes in your lower lift arms where the lift links fromt he upper lift arms attach.. if so. chose a higher hole, so ethe ball ends will be lower to the ground. if your setup does not have this.. then short of rigging up a fast hitch with offset arms.. or welding a new set of pins higher up on your box blasde.. then there isn't much to do about it.. ( unless you have adjustable lift links from the upper lift arms to the lower lift arms.. then you could lengthen them.. etc.. )

soundguy

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #3  
No idea on the KK box blade but some implements have more than one location for mounting the lift pins. If you have much problem with this be sure they have the correct size tires as a set on your tractor. Had a Case one that the lift did not go as high as I would have like and it turned out for some reason the dealership had over size tires on the front and standard on the rear.

Do check out all Soundguy mentioned.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #4  
Sometimes too, like on my tractor there is another set of holes in the lower arms themselves that are closer to the tractor. moving the lift arms to these holes will lower the arms too. I had to do that on my tractor for my chipper to always set down solidly where the ground is uneven.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #5  
Sometimes too, like on my tractor there is another set of holes in the lower arms themselves that are closer to the tractor. moving the lift arms to these holes will lower the arms too. I had to do that on my tractor for my chipper to always set down solidly where the ground is uneven.

already covered.. but no hurt in a ditto.. as it's his best option if he has them..

soundguy

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #6  
I've never done it but on my mid-eighties Ford you can remove a snap ring and re-clock the lift arms on the splined shaft. You can't increase the range of motion but you can change the bottom and top of it.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #7  
Several solutions posed, but as long as this is just the box scraper then I'd recommend changing the box scraper lift pins. Either to different holes or have brackets made to re-locate them. Changing the lift arms will affect the height they will lift, and may just mean another headache with attachments that fit the tractor.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible?
Well, I feel stupid. I went to check and see if my lift arms have multiple mounting holes for the lift links. To my disappointment, they do not. I spent another two or three minutes looking for another way to do this. This is where I started to feel stupid... the lift links are adjustable. Simply pull the pin at the top and twist. I added a good 2" and there is still quite a bit of adjustment left.

This tractor is still fairly new to me and I'm still learning it. Thanks for the help, guys.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #9  
already covered.. but no hurt in a ditto.. as it's his best option if he has them..

soundguy

Sorry about that........ I guess I just half read the post.

/ I need the 3ph to go lower, is that possible? #10  
Well, I feel stupid. I went to check and see if my lift arms have multiple mounting holes for the lift links. To my disappointment, they do not. I spent another two or three minutes looking for another way to do this. This is where I started to feel stupid... the lift links are adjustable. Simply pull the pin at the top and twist. I added a good 2" and there is still quite a bit of adjustment left.

This tractor is still fairly new to me and I'm still learning it. Thanks for the help, guys.

glad you found them.. I've seen adjustable lift links on many tractors.. that's why I mentioned it... hopefully it solves your depth issue.

soundguy