PTO speed stability

/ PTO speed stability #1  

tsteahr

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410tlb w/ R1 and Rimguard
Hello,

I am on the verge of buying a PTO driven 10KW IMD generator. It will be driven by my brand new :cool: MF GC2410. This tractor has a PTO rating of 18.7 hp. I realize a 10kw generator is slightly over sized for this hp and I will no be able to get the full 10kw. I'm guessing I can expect somewhere around 9.3kw. My concern is with the speed stability of the tractor driving the generator. Can I expect the tractor to hold PTO speed rpm closely enough to be able to use this setup for backup emergency power for the house?

I am looking to be able to have motors such as a deep well pump, oil furnace blower, refrigerator and some lights cycle without problems. The loads will be balanced across the generator legs as best as possible.

Does the speed governor on the MF hold speed closely enough to 540 so I will get a stable 60Hz from the generator?

If the tractor can hold rpm close enough with cycling loads (within its power limits) then I am ready to make this $2k+ investment. If the tractor rpm is going to sag and surge with every change in load then I have to look elsewhere for backup power.

Is my expectation to high for this little tractor?

/ PTO speed stability #2  
Not being familiar with your tractor I can not say weather it will handle the load.
But having said that, IMO after living on a generator property for 15 years, taken care of over a dozen back-up power units for the municipality I work for, you are not going to be happy with this arrangement.
The power will not be stable and will need constant attention.

E/S

/ PTO speed stability #3  
Can you get a standalone generator for that kind of money? If you can, you might consider that instead of having to run your new tractor at WOT all day until they get your power restored.

If you had to run power tools, augers, etc. out in the field or something I could see the PTO generator, but power outages can last for a while depending on how rural you are and how big the storm was.

Just some food for thought..

Jeff

/ PTO speed stability #4  
I too would go for the stand alone generator, you can buy a very nice 10,000 watt for the same kind of money.

Take a look at Nothern Tool, they have some great buys on them.

/ PTO speed stability
I appreciate the input about the stand alone. I know the topic of stand alone has already been discussed extensivly. I will just say I had a Home Depot gas stand alone in the past and I won't have another. A high quality 10kw tri fuel stand alone (not made in china) is easily $3k plus the cost setting up a propane tank and connection. Essentially the same cost as a similar sized high quality standby. I believe you generally get what you pay for.

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who actually used a pto generator driven by a scut as emergency power. Does the governer on the GC2410 keep the speed constant over time (hours) and not surge and sag with load changes (assuming the engine is not overloaded)?

/ PTO speed stability #6  
What are the chances that you'll be needing the tractor to clear snow at the same time the power is out?

/ PTO speed stability #7  
I appreciate the input about the stand alone. I know the topic of stand alone has already been discussed extensivly. I will just say I had a Home Depot gas stand alone in the past and I won't have another. A high quality 10kw tri fuel stand alone (not made in china) is easily $3k plus the cost setting up a propane tank and connection. Essentially the same cost as a similar sized high quality standby. I believe you generally get what you pay for.

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who actually used a pto generator driven by a scut as emergency power. Does the governer on the GC2410 keep the speed constant over time (hours) and not surge and sag with load changes (assuming the engine is not overloaded)?

I am here to tell you that your PTO generator should work just fine...I have a 20 KW PTO generator and a 29 HP New holland TC-29 and it runs it just fine, as you can see with my horsepower I have more generator than I can use but as in your case that is good when there is a surge like when a furnace motor or well pump motor kicks on it will not bog down like it would if you had a smaller generator. With a stand alone generator you have another motor to maintain that you do not use often enough to keep it is good running condition so when you do need it you have to try and get it started and you don't want to have to go through cleaning carbs, draining old gas and replacing spark plugs in the dark..All I can tell you is mine works and the tractor holds the speed very well...you just have to know how many hours until your run out of fuel..Mine runs 7 hrs. at 540 RPM ..so at about 6 hr of running time I go refuel and check the oil and crank it back up. As I am sure you have noticed on other threads there are many opinions regarding back-up generators. You are wise to stick with those that actually own and operate PTO generators...hope this helps.:)

Also let me add you can go out now and with your bush hog or without it just move your throttle up to 540 PTO rpm and see how it holds..and I'm sure you will see it holds just fine..now when a furnace motor or well pump kick in it will just be a momentary power demand - just a few seconds of surge and if you are standing close to the tractor you will hear the motor momentarily strain but just momentarily...see you have a larger than needed generator capacity and that really helps but even if you did not the drain on power is so short it is not a factor. Think of bush hogging at 540 RPM and you run over a mound of dirt or a large ant hill or a real high thick patch of grass, then you will feel a momentary demand on power and then you go on....same thing or there would not be so many of us out here using PTO generators. Here in Georgia, poultry farmers depend on them for back up power for their chicken houses and you know how many thousands of dollars they would lose if they did not work...too wordy...but I want to be sure you have all the info.

Last edited:
   / PTO speed stability
Brin,

Thank you very much for sharing. I am glad to hear the tractor pto generator can be effective. You are correct that the motor holds motor speed quite well when the load changes while mowing. I should expect similar with the generator. It is also reassuring that your tractor holds the 540rpm speed for hours. Not much point if I had to reset the throttle every 20 minutes. But again, one can mow for a long time at the same throttle position and not have the rpm speed drift.

I also thought oversizing the generator was a better approach. I'm glad to hear you confirm this. I feel much better with input from someone with first hand experience.

As far as stand alone vs. pto, it seems that is a choice each person needs to make for their own specific situation. One just needs to understand all the tradeoffs before making a decision.

/ PTO speed stability #9  
Tom,

You are quite welcome for the info and keep in mind when you have a power failure and have your tractor powering the generator it is no big deal to warm the house up and tell the family that you are going to unhook the power for an hour or two to plow some snow or push a fallen tree out of the way...then you just come back and plug back in and the house has probably not even cooled down that much..so it's not a huge sacrifice when all others are without power all the time..LOL

/ PTO speed stability
Tom,

You are quite welcome for the info and keep in mind when you have a power failure and have your tractor powering the generator it is no big deal to warm the house up and tell the family that you are going to unhook the power for an hour or two to plow some snow or push a fallen tree out of the way...then you just come back and plug back in and the house has probably not even cooled down that much..so it's not a huge sacrifice when all others are without power all the time..LOL

My thoughts exactly! :)

Cheers!