Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact?

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
For all the time I've owned this size tractor I have always considered it a "Compact Tractor" although the more I read about tractors and size of tractors I'm finding out that "Compact" can be up to 50-60hp tractors, and what I would have considered full size large tractors--> example -> What?s new in compact tractors from John Deere
if these size tractors are considered "Compacts" then what are our smaller 17-30 hp tractors really considered?
sub-compacts or perhaps mini compact tractors? and then what would actually be considered a full size or standard size tractor? I always considered the large AG tractors "Monster Tractors" but are they really thought of to be the standard tractor?
:cool: I guess my brain is confused once again :confused:

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #2  
I guess in my simple thought process, I would not necessarily define a tractor as sub-compact or compact based on horse power, rather I would consider any tractor with a limited cat1 hitch as a sub-compact. Such as my BX23. It has cat1 size pins, but the geometry of the lift arms and top link has closer spacing to a cat0 hitch which can be found on larger size garden tractors.

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #3  
IMO a tractor with a cat-0 3ph would be considered a sub-compact. I would classify my power king (14hp) with a cat-0 is a subcompact. A very capable tractor for what it was designed for. A tractor with a cat-1 would be considered a compact and start into the utility class. Class-2 and above I consider as utility or special purpose type. Also I believe it's based on purpose i.e. multipurpose, AG, Forestry, Construction etc.

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #4  
I guess in my simple thought process, I would not necessarily define a tractor as sub-compact or compact based on horse power, rather I would consider any tractor with a limited cat1 hitch as a sub-compact. Such as my BX23. It has cat1 size pins, but the geometry of the lift arms and top link has closer spacing to a cat0 hitch which can be found on larger size garden tractors.

The later BXs have a full Cat 1 hitch and horsepower up to 25.5. I would still have to consider them "sub-compacts".
The B2320 has 23 hp but I think Kubota calls it a compact.
It doesn't seem to be based on Hp or hitch style.
Maybe the classification is based on the size of the wheels. Maybe it's just totally arbitrary!

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #5  
The later BXs have a full Cat 1 hitch and horsepower up to 25.5. I would still have to consider them "sub-compacts".
The B2320 has 23 hp but I think Kubota calls it a compact.
It doesn't seem to be based on Hp or hitch style.
Maybe the classification is based on the size of the wheels. Maybe it's just totally arbitrary!

That sounds about right. The wheels and tires make all the difference.

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #6  
What about tractor width ? Couldn't that be one of the criteria?

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact? #7  
I always assumed that it was the engine height

/ Compact? or sub-Compact-or mini Compact?
I would have thought the size and HP of any given tractor would put it in a particular size category, and a compact tractor to me is just that!
(small and compact) the example I used of the JD 4020 doesn't look compact,
actually it does read "Large chassis" But then says "Compact" :rolleyes:
so! there is something that borderlines this tractor as being a Large but yet compact tractor, although to me there is nothing about a tractor with 5-6 ft rear tires with a 40+ hp engine compact.:cool: