Should a newbie tackle a septic dig?

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #11  
In SC they go by what they call "percolation". They know from the soil type how long it takes for the water to percolate down. They also have maps for all of the areas in the county that show the soil composition.

They probably have the specifications required for your location in mind before they even come out to the site.

Don

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #12  
I believe they use the "percolation" concept everywhere but can still make requirements based on number of bedrooms. That's what they do here.

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #13  
The last I knew, around here, the "perc" test tells you which type of system or how many feet of lateral line is needed, and the number of bedrooms tells you how big the tank(s) has to be. The ridiculous thing is that in the worst of "perc" conditions, the recommended system is the aerobic system. But if you decide in advance that the aerobic system is what you want (as I did), you still have to have the "perc" test done at a cost of about $125. Something, besides the sewer system, smells./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #14  
One bit of advice regarding septic systems: They are a very regional design item. My brother installs systems, and he has different permitting requirements, aggregate requirements, inspections requirements, etc. in each of the three N.Y. counties he works in. When he crosses the border into Pa., it is a new ballgame altogether. You really need to check into your local regulations.
P.S. My brother installed mine last in April, with my involvement being backfilling, shoveling sand and stone, pipe-laying, transit reading, etc.
As far as DYI, in some locations I would feel comfortable installing my own, but with a rigorous inspector, I am not sure I would be able to do it nearly as quickly as a contractor. Having a transit is a must. Also, depending on your terrain and requirements, even a large compact hoe (8-10' digging depth) may not be enough. It isn't just the depth of the tank hole, but being able to reach away from the tractor to deposit soil, etc.

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #15  
Very true, Will. The installers in this area have the same problem your brother has.

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #16  
While I am usually the first guy to "kick the tires and light the fires", I am afraid I would have to "go with the flow" (so to speak /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif) on this one. If you blow the level on one of the ditchs, they might not just let you "fix" it. In fact they could condem the entire field and make you relocate it. Septic fields are about as precision as it gets in digging. I would leave it to a proffessional. Assist if you can but leave the digging to someone who knows the ropes (and the inspectors).Good luck!

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #17  
Maybe you can can get a bid for the whole system and one where you have a pro dig it, lay out the field and set the tank. You can lay the pipe and backfill.

A lot will depend on your site and system. I doubt a pro wants to come in for a half day, but if he can do his part in a day and leave, not having to come back, it might save you enough for another toy. Just a thought.

Mike

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig?
Thanks, Mike!! Good idea...I like it! I'll run it up the flagpole. Now, why didn't I think of that.

Things are moving about as we have come to expect. Seems that unless we are physically there all the time, we are subject to the "mountain crawl" job pace...Yesterday, I called the inspector who had looked at the project in late June to inquire where the permit was. He apologized and said he had drawn and approved the specs three weeks ago, but hadn't put them in the mail. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

I'll post progress here as we see it, but this thread may be quiet for a bit.

We're clearly resolved that doing the job right carries more weight with us than doing it quickly. I appreciate the importance of detail, but I'm more interested in timely progress than process.

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #19  
Excellant suggestions micromike.

/ Should a newbie tackle a septic dig? #20  
smart move!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif