What is float on the FEL?

/ What is float on the FEL? #1  

LuvMy670

Tractor
JD 670
I just got a JD 670 with a model 60 FEL. In the operator's manual, it talks about float. How do I know if I have this feature and what does it do? Been having fun moving stuff around but I would like to know more about the functions my tractor might have!!!!!

Thanks!!!!

/ What is float on the FEL? #2  
<font color=blue>How do I know if I have this feature and what does it do?</font color=blue>

If you have this feature, when you push the FEL control all the way foward, it should stick in that posistion. Float puts the raise lower funtion of the FEL in "neutral". This is very useful for smoothing loose dirt by putting the bucket in float, and back dragging across the dirt.

/ What is float on the FEL? #3  
"Float" is a setting on your loader where the bucket (or whatever) is allowed to float across the ground with no up or down pressure whatsoever. Normally you raise or lower your bucket to a certain position and it stays there in that same position relative to the tractor. With your loader in "float" the bucket will rest on the ground regardless of you going up or down a hill, for example.

On my Deere 4200's model 420 loader the float position is attained by pushing the selective control valve lever all the way forward PAST the position at which it would lower the bucket and raise the front end. On mine it takes a hard, fast shove. Play with it a few times and you'll get it. Enjoy your new tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ What is float on the FEL? #4  
"Float" is nice when moving snow. It won't dig into your driveway if you've the bucket slightly rolled up.
As Ed and Gary mentioned, you're in float after pushing the lever forward (you'll feel the front end of the 670 lift slightly, then fall).
670 is a nice little tractor. There are only two or three of us on TBN that have them. Don't hesitate to post questions (or e-mail directly to me).

/ What is float on the FEL? #5  
The others have explained "float" for you. I have a 750 with JD 67 FEL. If your control valve is like mine, on the left lever you might have an L shaped piece that flips down onto the rod and is pin hinged. You have to flip this up and back to be able to push lever in till it latches in "float". Neat to keep you inadvertently out of float, but a pain in the rear when on rough ground and you want float but it keeps flipping itself down.

/ What is float on the FEL?
Thanks for all your replies!!!

I got my owner's manual finally and I wouldn't have understood what they meant when they described float in the manual. You all did a much better job than JD!!!!!

Now my next goal is to see whether I have live PTO. When I bought the tractor, I wanted to see the PTO work and when it was spinning, the tractor wasn't moving, so I am wondering if I have the dual stage clutch for the PTO or the transmission driven one. Guess I will find out soon when I get my bush hog. [it's on order :)]

I would figure it would be a lot easier to work with the dual stage clutch, but I don't have that much to mow. It is wicked stuff, though. My pasture is easy enough, but my neighbor appears to have abandoned his pasture and I need to make a pass by my fence on his side to keep that area from growing up into my own personal Amazon.

Besides, makes me feel better I got that bush hog if I have a real job to mow. I was mowing the pasture with my lawn mower. It did a good job, but was heck on the blades, though.

I didn't know that modern tractors didn't come with live PTOs. Boy, I am learning a lot about tractors. These are the best boards!!! I know I am becoming a tractor junkie, I saw a small tractor digging with a backhoe along our road, and it made my mouth water... yeah, I could dig up a lot of stuff!!!!

JS

/ What is float on the FEL? #7  
"Now my next goal is to see whether I have live PTO. "

I hope you do have the dual stage clutch (which was optional on the 670). That's the sole thing I wish mine had.
However, it's a really minor thing, easy to work around.

Keep us posted on your tractor!