tractor size / designation

/ tractor size / designation #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
Ok, here's a question sure to be a can o' worms. With all the different tractor size monikers... what is the general consensus of what makes a tractor fall into a specific category.. and what are the categories?
For instance, we have garden tractors - ( lawnmower right? )
oh.. compact utility tractor, estate tractor - ?, farm tractor, ag tractor.

Where do we draw the lines between these designations, and what is it based on? Overall size? weight? HP, combinations of these?

Let the arguments..er.. discussions begin!

Soundguy

/ tractor size / designation #2  
I'm most familiar with Deere (because I have one) and Kubota (because that's my local dealer of choice). I think frame size and weight is more of a factor in these designations than anything else, but could well be wrong there.

I believe Deere calls all of the 4000 series tractors (and the newer "4000 tens") "compacts" with anything smaller being lawn and garden and those immediately larger (the 5000's ?)being considered utility tractors.

I believe Kubota does the same thing with letter designations with the L series being compacts and, I think, their larger M series being utility tractors.

Here's where it gets interesting, though. Kubota has a relatively new designation, namely "sub-compact," which they use to describe those tractors smaller than their L series yet larger, more powerful and more versatile than their lawn and garden models. The BX-1800 and BX-2200 are a couple of the more popular models in that group.

I'm sure what I've written here will be argued, corrected, augmented and clarified, but these are my thoughts on the subject, nonetheless. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tractor size / designation #3  
You are right on line. With the JD lineup, the 5000 series is considerd the utility line and is intended for the hobby farms or small farms like fruit and vegetables farms. The 6000 series is the smallest you will usually see on larger farms as it is mainly a chore tractor that works in the hay fields. So as for farm tractors the 5000 on up is considered for ag use. NH is the TN's and up. Case-IH has the JX line as their utility trators. In my mind and most manf. the 4000 series and Boomer series are compact tractors. Kubota has so many different sizes of tractors they have to keep inventing new designations for their compacts but if looks like what you buy it at TSC it is a garden tractor or lawn tractor.

/ tractor size / designation #4  
<font color=blue>"if it looks like what you buy at TSC it is a garden tractor or lawn tractor."</font color=blue>

What a wonderfully simple and concise way of describing those. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tractor size / designation #5  
Hmmmmmmmmmm, so in your opinion the Kubota B series, B7500, B2410, B2710 and B2910 are sub compacts? Kubota calls the them compact utility tractors, the BX a sub-compact utility tractor and the L series a still larger tractor but still a compact. The Kubota B7500-2910 range spans the same approximate weight/horsepower and frame size covered by JD with the JD4010/4110/4115. The JD4200 is approximately equal to the Kubota L3410. Not sure about NH. J

/ tractor size / designation #6  
No, not at all. I believe the Kubota 2710, 3010, et. al., are compacts. I believe the BX-1800 and BX-2200 are sub-compacts. If you go back and re-read my post, you'll see I never mentioned the B series at all. While that was certainly an oversight on my part I don't see where it was anything at which to take offense or assume I was attempting to denigrate the B series in any way. Frankly, I forgot the 2710, 3010, et. al., were B designation machines rather than L designation machines.

To clarify (and appease) let me say the L and B series Kubotas are compacts with the M's being more like the Deere 5000's. Again, the BX series (not to be confused with the B series) are sub compacts.

I sure didn't mean any offense there. Just trying to help out. I'm one green owner who you'll never hear knocking orange. I think Kubota makes a fine machine.

/ tractor size / designation #7  
<font color=blue>...Hmmmmmmmmmm...</font color=blue>

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Let's see... if we have a TBN get together & cookout... I want J to be the cook... he likes to stir the pot... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ tractor size / designation #8  
You guys are to sensitive /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif , I was not trying to rile him. The B series was not mentioned, L series was said to be compacts and something along the lines of everything smaller is a subcompact. It really does not matter anyway what something is called I suppose.
John, there are so many target opportunities, how is the little red mower doing? Is that deck suspended? What is the hydrualic output?
Sure, love to have a cookout, I will bring the gumbo and crawfish, I like it HOT.
Compact has been discussed before and there was a thread--History of the Compact -- or some such. If you see the early Cub tractors and Ford 8N stuff as a compact then it is true that maybe some of what both JD and Kubota market today are really sub-compacts. I do not find the term offensive but others do, in fact JD denies the term exists. Sub compact probably is a better term for tractors weighing less than 2,000 lbs, the demarcation at the lower end being a usefull 3-point, hydrualics, FEL capable, ROPS and other such things or the lack of would then begin the Garden tractor class. So, I guess the BX is the bottom of Kubotas subcompact lineup and the B2910 is the top of Kubotas sub compact lineup and the L3010 begins the compact lineup--I like that better--y'all all got subcompacts!
John, you probably just mad at me cuz I said your new mower has a sheet metal axle /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif . J

/ tractor size / designation #9  
<font color=blue>...You guys are to sensitive...</font color=blue>
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

You're not too funny... you're 30 funny... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>... I was not trying to rile him...</font color=blue>

J... I truly believe you... you know you don't have to try... it's natural for ya... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Now, on to more important things.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Yes... I like my food <font color=red>hot</font color=red> as well... hot peppers on the pizza, on the taco's, with the burgers... sometimes just plain by themselves... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

I do think I could have a field day down in Louisiana testing out multiple hot and spicy foods...Besides, I'm also a shrimp fanatic... and they are plentiful on the coast... right?

<font color=blue>...you probably just mad at me cuz I said your new mower has a sheet metal axle...</font color=blue>

Nope... it sure takes a lot to ruffle my feathers... ask my kids... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Plus... you spoke the truth... the axle is what it is... but it was so sweet to only spend $621. for a brand new automatic 20 hp twin cylinder riding lawn mower with a 46" suspended deck and two year warranty to boot... /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ tractor size / designation #10  
<font color=blue>"I was not trying to rile him."</font color=blue>

Now let's all talk about "him" like "he" isn't even here. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif