Oil & Fuel Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #1  

jedens

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4610
I was tired of spilling diesel fuel every time I fueled-up so I bought a $3 plastic fuel funnel with a small mesh screen and a detachable plastic spout on the bottom. Last time I fueled-up I knocked off the detachable spout and it fell in the fuel tank. It is only the plastic part not the metal and it is a single piece about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch in diameter. It immediately dissappeared off to the side somewhere that I can't see now. Is this a problem? Will this plastic react with the diesel over time and cause a problem? It's always something!!

Joe

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #2  
it should not be a problem, diesel seems to have no effect on plastic cans. but if u are concerned get one of thos fexible, 3 pronged grabbers and fish around for it. don't know what they call those things, but when u push on the button the fingers open and once u get onto the object u release the button and the 3 fingers close on the object, u can find then any place that sell tools.

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #3  
I doubt it will ever be a problem. My tank is plastic.

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #4  
That's what I'd do, too, Frank, and of course I've got one of those tools and now I can't think of a name to call it either; old timers disease I guess./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #5  
Yep been there / done that. That 3 pronged grabber thingamagig is exactly the right tool for the job. Oh and its a lot easier if you wait till your tank is almost empty.

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #6  
I think that it is called a flexible retrieval tool. Sounds as good as just about any other description that I could think of.

Don

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #7  
The first day I had my brand new B-2410 I bought two new yellow fuel cans. They had this new spout- that is supposed to reduce spilling. So, I go to fuel my new baby , and the spout- the rubber gasket and lock ring pop off and down the fuel tank they go. The fuel tank on the Kubota is slanted, so I could only see the spout, but I knew all three parts had gone down. I could not hold my large mag light and see very well, both because of the limited space and the glare from the sun. So , I got a metal hanger, my mini mag light ,and a large towel. I tied the flashlight off with a string, and tied it to the frame of my FEL , and dropped it down the tank, where it was out of my way, it illuminated the whole tank(at least the 1/4 of it I could see due to the slant), it also freed up both my hands for the hanger work. I then used my towel to cover over my head and the tank opening which both allowed me to see clearly in the tank, and get high off of diesel fumes at the same time. I then was able to fish all three pieces out of the tank witht he hanger. I used the hook end for two of them, and made a pair of pinchers with the other end to grab the spout.
My girlfriend and friends all got a great laugh at me, especially since this happened on the first day of ownership. I do feel better now, knowing things like this happen to other people.

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #8  
You do live on the wild side. I know that the chances of this happening are slim, but if the mag light had broken the bulb or generated a spark to ignite the fuel while you had your head over the opening with your towel on your head. Well I think you get the picture.

I think that one of those lights with a fexible fiberoptic extension would have been safer.

Just my opinion.

Don

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank #9  
Diesel is not that flamable. You can put out a lit match in it without igniting it.

/ Plastic Funnel in Fuel Tank
Frank, thanks for the suggestion. That 3 pronged grabber sounds like just the right tool. I'll see if I can find one and try it.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that has had this type of problem.