Tires Fluid in tires - Question

/ Fluid in tires - Question #11  
Hey PZ,

I used RV antifreeze for my rear's on my Kioti. I put 10 gallons of RV antifreeze in each tire then topped it off with just water.. It's been down to 9 degrees F here and no freezing so far. You can get a special tool to add fluid, but I just put a ziptie around my valve stem (VERY TIGHT) and pushed it into the tire to make room for a 5/16" hose.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/1753394-post12.html

Phill

/ Fluid in tires - Question
I was going to ask next on how to fill the tire. I was thinking of setting both beads (both sides of the new tires) normally by filling with air. Then lay the wheel flat on the ground and break a small part of the bead that's on top....then dumping the fluid in that way. Is that how everyone else is doing it?

I don't really need to worry about freezing so much...the mower stays nice and cozy in my basement :) I have a walk-out double door basement since I live on the side of a hill. But, I'd put the anti-freeze washer fluid in anyway.

/ Fluid in tires - Question #13  
I just got done doing WW fluid in one of my tractors last Friday. I used my neighbors lawn sprayer, you know the kine you pull behind. I got the WW fluid in bulk from my local oil supplier for $.94 per gallon. I got 55 gals of the -20 stuff and using the adapter from TSC it took about 1 hour to install. Just jack up the tractor, remove the shrader valve, and start pumping releasing pressure as you install every 3 gallons or so.

Chris

Oh, so tractor supply company stores sell an adapter for this to put it in through the valve stem? Cool.

/ Fluid in tires - Question #15  
I went a different route to add weight to my commercial mower. I fabbed up a bracket that went into my rear mounted grass catcher. I got some scrap metel from the junk yard and welded it together. It is held on with hitch pins, remove the pins and off it comes. It weighs about 80-90 lbs, but because it is so far back, the gain in stability is far greater than the same weight in the tires.

/ Fluid in tires - Question #16  
I was going to ask next on how to fill the tire. I was thinking of setting both beads (both sides of the new tires) normally by filling with air. Then lay the wheel flat on the ground and break a small part of the bead that's on top....then dumping the fluid in that way. Is that how everyone else is doing it?

I don't really need to worry about freezing so much...the mower stays nice and cozy in my basement :) I have a walk-out double door basement since I live on the side of a hill. But, I'd put the anti-freeze washer fluid in anyway.

dang.. that's the hard way.. hardest I've heard of.. ever...

they make a burp tool for about 4-10$ depending on where you get it ( napa / tsc.. etc. )

screws onto a tire valve.. and has a hose fitting.. pretty easy way to rig up filling a tire..

soundguy

/ Fluid in tires - Question #18  
it IS made for a garden hose.

you have to rig your own ballast-mix adapter. most of us use a piece of rubber fuel line slid over the tire valve stem with core removed, then either use a funnle, or save the pointy end off a gear oil quart jug.. I was able to screw that end right on -many- different gallon sized jugs that had af in them.. etc... then just hang and poke a hole inthe bottom of the jug for a vent.. or invert periodically.. etc.

after the ballast mix is in.. then ya add the water hose.. then just hit the burp button now and then to let the built up air out.

soundguy

/ Fluid in tires - Question #19  
Or you could use a pump like this: Marine Pump. I've actually heard pretty good things about this pump. I just received a flyer and they have it for $29.99. I used my Dad's 110v pump. I put 23 gallons in each of my rear tires on my NH.

The more I think about this, for a commercial zero turn mower wheel (24x12-12)...wouldn't it be pretty simple to just break the bead a little with the wheel on it's side and dump in the fluid? Seems like it would be a piece of cake. After filling to the level you want, just take the pry bar out (or whatever you were holding the bead down with) and fill it to the pressure you need with air. I'm not talking about a large tractor wheel...this is a relatively small tire/wheel I'm talking about.