Odd thing to do to a tractor

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
What's wrong with this picture?

Is there a specific reason someone would that??

I've heard of reversing the front tires for loader work, but this????

Tractor.jpg

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #2  
No $.

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #4  
He's so sick of the economy he doesn't know wether he's comming or going :D

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #5  
Some people don't understand "rotate the tires".

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #6  
What's wrong with this picture?

Is there a specific reason someone would that??

I've heard of reversing the front tires for loader work, but this????

Tractor.jpg

I've seen this occasionally on old 2WD farm tractors. The purpose is to help get a little traction backing out of a hole or loose soil. Of course, the loss is forward traction, but us poor boys sometimes can't have everything. Actually, I seriously considered doing exactly this on my old Fordson Dexta. ...but I decided to simply give the old girl away rather than embarrass her

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #7  
I've seen this occasionally on old 2WD farm tractors. The purpose is to help get a little traction backing out of a hole or loose soil. Of course, the loss is forward traction, but us poor boys sometimes can't have everything. Actually, I seriously considered doing exactly this on my old Fordson Dexta. ...but I decided to simply give the old girl away rather than embarrass her

We are showing our age here huh. :) It was also common in the early days of self propelled combines, which were all 2wd. It allowed the operator to back out of a muddy situation.

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #8  
I use to think under certain conditions you might get more traction with the bars reversed.

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #9  
If you look closely they are 2 completely different tires. My guess is he had a flat and used what he could find possibly having it mounted wrong and just said heck with it.

Chris

/ Odd thing to do to a tractor #10  
If you look closely they are 2 completely different tires. My guess is he had a flat and used what he could find possibly having it mounted wrong and just said heck with it.

Chris

You've got better eyes than me. I can't see the difference other than the left is mounted backwards. Not saying you're not right... just saying I can't tell. But you definitely are right in that he probably just wasn't too concerned, from the looks of his tractor.

On the other hand, I can relate to him not being too concerned about what brand of wax to use on it. My Ole' Blue sat out in the fields for 40+ years. It worked from sunup to sunset for most of those years, and never saw a wash job, not to mention wax. But it just kept on running. Looks don't count as far as a tractor's performance - only to the owner's level of pride. This old tractor would probaby outpull and out work my brand new L3400 :)