Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi Folks, How to I best Tow my newly acquired Haybine over the bridge without dumping it over the edge...its tight

here's the scenario.

Just bought a 9ft NewHolland Haybine

to get to some of my fields i have to cross a Bridge (Over a Large Creek).

Bridge is aprox 24ft span and 9 1/2 ft at its narrowest point (the start and end) 12' at its widest point (Center 16'). Bridge is totally flat steel, sturdy, and easily handles the weight of the tractor and Haybine (as towed by the guy who harvested my hay before).

the approach to the bridge is at a slight angle to the bridge. and conversely when returning fromthe field as you leave the bridge there is a slight turn.

The Guy who did haying up until this yr, would tow his bine over with the Tractor facing backwards, with the Bine Tongue chained to the right side of the bucket of the tractor.

Im trying to prepare for next yr, and as a newbie, dont fancy this approach.

my Options & Preferences, in order:

1) Find a way to put a tow bar out the the left rear side of the tractor to put the tractor more central to the bine
2) Create another entry to the fields from another side road by installing a culvert in an existing ditch and widening yet another bridge over a smaller drainage ditch
3) Widen the Approach/exit of the "big" bridge some how (?)

is there a device to allow the tracor to move even more to the right and be more centered to the Haybine when towing it. the "Road" position on the tongue still puts too much Bine out to the right to get across the bridge. ie can you mount a tow bar more out to the left side of the tractor?

Ideas?

thanks

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #2  
Of course some tractors have a "swinging drawbar" but I don't know about yours, and that still might not move the haybine far enough to the left. I don't know what you could do without welding and building some kind of custom drawbar. I pulled a 9' Gehl haybine a lot with an old Oliver on Texas Farm-to-Market roads and even with it swung as far left as possible, it extended out to the right a ways.

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #3  
Build a dolly that has is narrower than the wheels on the haybine, narrow enough to allow you to tow it across the bridge. If you've got a double acting cylinder on the lift, you can probably rig up something that will retract the wheels, or at least lower most of the weight onto the dolly?

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #4  
could you use a three point hitch drawbar and lock the tph all the way to the left side and pin to the hole closest the left?
Rob

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #5  
I like BeeferMan's idea, that is something akin to trailering the Haybine for this bridge. :)
But a welder could easily rig a drawbar up that would center the Haybine wheels behind your tractor.
Shouldn't have to get real elaborate. A long bar pinned both at the tractor and the Haybine, with an adjustable brace to position the Haybine at the right location should work. A pic of your tractor and Haybine would help with more detailed description.

Or use NH-Rob's idea of the 3 ph drawbar and the tractor drawbar holding the long bar I mentioned in position.

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge
Good Ideas, thanks, the Hay Bine will arrive this weekend, ill get some pics.

The other thing I've been thinking of, is making the approachto the Bridge straighter.

that will involve filling inthe Manure Pit at the end of the barn (which i want to do any way).

Draw bar, yep have one of those, I'll see how far over it puts me, otherwise im into a custom job or the dollies. Im guessing ill need a bar that will extend 2'-3' past the 3pt hitch arms to put me dead centre of the bine. Tractor is ~6ft wide, road position on the Bine puts the left rear wheel of the Tractor "close" to the edge of the left side of the bine, leaving ~4' of Hay Bine hanging to the right of the Right Tractor tire

Last edited:
   / Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #7  
The wheels on the cutter are 9' to the outside if I recall so if your careful you should be able to just put it in transport mode and drive across. Just put it in the slowest gear you have and let it idle across. If you have an issue just back up and try again.

Or buy another mower and leave it over there when you get it across:D

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #8  
Or buy another mower and leave it over there when you get it across:D[/QUOTE]

I like this option best:D
Rob

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge
The wheels on the cutter are 9' to the outside if I recall so if your careful you should be able to just put it in transport mode and drive across.

wish it were that easy. If i had a straight run to the Bridge, yep, id do that, but the approach is at an angle, so the Right side wheel would fall off the bridge at the approach, or the left side wheel would fall off as i come back.

hence, why the guy that used to do it towed it with his tractor backwards, usig the right side of the FEL to tow it....effecitvely giving himself another 2' offset.

/ Towing my Haybine over a Narrow(ish) Bridge #10  
Welcome to farming.

You just need to be a good driver and pay very close attention to what you are doing. If it does fit through, and measure very carefully, then you should be able to get it across in one piece. You may just need practice. I have gates that I have to get my 5209 through that have an 11'10" opening, and the machine is 11'6". It is tight but if I can do it so can you!