Backhoe Storing a Backhoe

/ Storing a Backhoe #1  

msb1766

Platinum Member
Tractor
SC2450 Cub Cadet/Yanmar
I will be taking off the backhoe on my tractor for the winter, It will be in a covered shed. Is there anything I need to do to it?
I plan on putting wood under the bucket and stabilizers. The shed floor is gravel.

/ Storing a Backhoe #2  
I put Hydro fluid on any exposed cylinders, grease all the fittings, touch up any unpainted area's and cover any hyrdo hose ends with a bread bag and elastic bands. Mine has a PTO pump and I change the fluid and filter once a year.

/ Storing a Backhoe #3  
I put grease on all the exposed rams. No good way to do it so just slather it on. I then cover with plastic wrap from the kitchen to keep the crud out. In the spring wipe it all off when ready to use again.

Chris

/ Storing a Backhoe #4  
Is there any condensation which drips from the roof? (My metal quonset hut does this) You may find that the wood will be just as damp as the gravel. Patio stones might be an idea.
A thin coating of synthetic oil will probably keep the rams lubed....and won't pick up as much grit as grease. All sheds are different however. In some, if you cover it you will just cause condensation under the cover. Bad thing

/ Storing a Backhoe #5  
"A thin coating of synthetic oil will probably keep the rams lubed....and won't pick up as much grit as grease. "

This is what I'm concerned about. The manual specifically says to use grease, but I'm wonding why oil, even just some SAE30 might not work OK?

Mine is stored in the garage, so I'm not too worried about it getting wet, but I'd like to give it a little extra protection anyway...

/ Storing a Backhoe #6  
I think you have received excellent answers from TBN members. I did exactly what they do, I use my lube grease from my grease gun, same grease that I use for the FEL and fittings on my B3200. Chris added a bit more which I never thought of with the plastic wrap, great idea.
DevilDog

/ Storing a Backhoe #7  
actually I used vaseline. It wipes right off after the first use.:D

/ Storing a Backhoe #8  
Having ridden motorcycles for 40+ years, I've always got a can of spray chainlube or airfilter oil around...I just wipe the pistons down and spray on the lube...it "sticks". In the spring I shoot it with WD-40 and the excess lube wipes away. I always try and keep the pistons inside the cyls as far as they will go...BobG in VA

/ Storing a Backhoe #9  
Having ridden motorcycles for 40+ years, I've always got a can of spray chainlube or airfilter oil around...I just wipe the pistons down and spray on the lube...it "sticks". In the spring I shoot it with WD-40 and the excess lube wipes away. I always try and keep the pistons inside the cyls as far as they will go...BobG in VA

That is a great tip. Chain lube is some sticky stuff.

Chris

/ Storing a Backhoe #10  

It's also good for the hinges/locks/latches on all the other motor vehicle doors/hoods/trunks/tailgates. Oh, and shifter linkages.