My First Rock

/ My First Rock #1  

tsteahr

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2410tlb w/ R1 and Rimguard
A little over a month ago I got my first tractor, a Massey GC2410. I have had almost no free time to use it until this weekend. I figured a good first task would be to use the BH to pop some of those pesty rocks out of the ground. The ones I almost always hit with the mower even though I know they are there. I figure I'll start with a small one, just a little bit of rock sticking up out of the ground. 45 minutes later I get this thing out of the ground... It was so heavy I lifted up the front of the tractor when I tried to lift it out of the ground with the BH. I had to put 400lbs in the FEL just to get the front back on the ground so I could drag it out of the hole.

The pic is the moving it out of the yard. It was to big to carry with the BH, even with the thumb. I was not sure the little Massey would lift it, buy she had just enough lifting power to get the rock off the ground enough that FWD then got me onto the woods to dump it.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just so proud of this little GC I had to share. She is one tough little machine. My only past experience was with a lawn tractor that I always had maxed out and could never do what I wanted. This GC never seems to strain, even when pushed. The little jobs goes with ease. FEL full of rocks, down a rough slope and dump? No Problem! Just take it slow and keep it low. Fill the holes with some soil from the dirt pile? 5 minute job. I can't get over how stable this machine is on a slope. I was a little nervous, but the rears are filled and I have not had any pucker factor yet.

I can't let the wife know what was brutal manual labor is now fun! Otherwise I have to find another way to get brownie points.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 506
   / My First Rock #2  
About the nicest rock I have ever seen! A shame to waste it. Loaders are the best tool of all. Don't now how I got by with out one for so many years.

/ My First Rock #3  
Nice rock. I'd love to have that in my yard. Rocks have a certain attractive character about them.

/ My First Rock #4  
So you have been hitting that little "pebble" in your yard all of this time and haven't done anything about it!:D

/ My First Rock #5  
There is a place that sells rocks on my hour drive to work. In the uppity part of town. Gated communities all around. I'll bet that there rock would fetch $200.00 - $300.00 there. People would fight tooth and nail for it.

/ My First Rock #6  
I'm with the rest.. I would love to have a few of those to have in the yard.. above ground that is :eek:

Awesome job with that rock!! :D

/ My First Rock #7  
Great rock.

Wished I could easily transport rocks to Ohio, I've pulled 100's like that one out of the ground. I've got nothing but rocks.

You can't been a backhoe or excavator when it comes to rocks.

Post a picture of the entire machine.

Joel

/ My First Rock #8  
The first one is always special.....

I recently moved some rocks from my pasture up to the house for landscape decorations. I think if I just wanted to get rid of it, I'd have been tempted to just dig the hole deeper with the hoe and then push the rock back in.

Sounds like you had fun though...er...ah...got some valuable WORK done!

Attachments

• 100_0849.jpg
    100_0849.jpg
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 290
   / My First Rock #9  
Very nice rock----It's nice to be able to do little jobs like that and not hurt your back !! Just sit back and be amazed what our little tractors will do !!

Enjoy

Good day have fun and be safe

/ My First Rock
Thanks for all the positive comments! It is nice to not kill your back getting work done. That is the number one reason I got the machine. In this neck of the woods, rocks are mostly a nuisance. The idea is to get rid of as many as possible. The plan of digging a deeper hole and burying the rock might seem like a good one, until you realize the only thing you are going to find when you keep digging is more rock. There is a very good chance you will hit something much bigger.

Attached are another couple pics of the entire machine. More pics are in this thread from when I first got it.

I was thinking about some comments I have read from experienced, hard core tractorites referring to SCUTs as upgraded lawnmowers. Having lived with a lawn mower for many years, that is not really fair. I fully agree these little machines are not a machine for Ag. But when you step up from a lawn tractor, they are a totally different beast.

When I was shopping, a NH dealer tried to get me into a used Boomer 2030 (he refused to even talk about getting a new 1025 that I was interested in). Truth be told, I drove the 2030 and I was more then a little intimidated by the size. Not to mention it would have been a total joke on my little lot. Even seen the movie Moving with Richard Pryor and Randy Quaid? Quaid plays the new neighbor. He opens the garage door to mow his tiny plot out comes a enormous machine that takes up the entire volume of the garage bay. That would be me if I followed the NH dealer advice. In any case, no modern residential lawn tractor can approach what a SCUT can do. I have a cooked hydro in my Simplicity to prove it. (I should have bought that BX when I was looking at machines 10 years ago... But then a BX1800 is not nearly the machine I have ended up with.) From the advice and information from this forum, I believe I have the ideal machine for my situation and needs.

Thanks for the warm welcome to this forum! I have learned much in a short time.

Attachments

• R front.jpg
    R front.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Rock2.jpg
    Rock2.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 213