Older CUT tractors.What to buy?

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
I have never personally owned a tractor.I have operated quite a few MF,Fords,and comercial grade JD,Ford,and Cat.Most of my experience is in general pasture work,drainage,and installing septic systems.I currently maintain our family property which is only two acres.It has two drives and a dirt road that circles us and our neighbor.I am paying or bartering to keep our driveways maintained.My neighbor was paying to keep the dirt road graded and graveled.I plan to take it all over and just pay (split with neighbor) to have gravel dropped as needed.So I have decided to look at CUT and something that I can use when we find a place to homestead.My immediate needs are a finish mower,FEL,forks,and scrape blade.A small back hoe would come in handy from time to time,but not a necessity.I do need the ability of lifting 1000lbs crates and placing them in PU,box truck,or semi,hence the need for forks.4x4 would be nice since we have been getting alot of rain and the road gets muddy.I am looking for something older and used, preferably with roll protection.What recommendations do you all have?

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #2  
The fork needs, especially the height and reach, will dictate your choice.

For used equipment it's hard to specify particular makes as the condition, how it's equipped, and the availability of parts, attachments and service are the factors that count.

Looking and sitting on seats should give you a good perspective on what will fill your requirements. Then you can branch out to looking at the INTERNET and your local local advertisements.:D
:D
Sorry I can't be more specific. :eek:

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #3  
Except for the backhoe, which you could rent if you don't need it much, my 2004 4010 would work well for you. Just have to buy or have made a set of forks to mount onto the FEL mount of the FEL assembly.

Otherwise, a used 2210, 2305 or similar Kubota would work.

Ralph

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #4  
I am no expert so be sure to read the other posts.....

Lifting a 1,000lbs. is no small task. Having just 2 acres it seems to me whatever you end up with will be over-kill for the size of your property.

But, big tractors are really cool.

I would think you will need something with 35+ horses.

When looking at used equipment find one that has been well maintained that looks like new.

Good luck and enjoy your search.

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #5  
Sounds like you need to do quite a bit of pallet and crate loading. How about getting a smaller tractor and a used small fork lift? 1k lbs is nothing for a fork lift, but it's a considerable load for a tractor. You could have a tractor better sized to the property and a fork lift is vastly superior at doing what it does. Just a thought...

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #6  
Sounds like you need to do quite a bit of pallet and crate loading. How about getting a smaller tractor and a used small fork lift? 1k lbs is nothing for a fork lift, but it's a considerable load for a tractor. You could have a tractor better sized to the property and a fork lift is vastly superior at doing what it does. Just a thought...

I was thinking the same thing. The small used tractor + small used forklift might actually be cheaper than a tractor big enough to lift 1000+ lbs

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #7  
perhaps a tlb / industrial machine.. might have to fab up forks for the fel.. but..

soundguy

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy?
I am no expert so be sure to read the other posts.....

Lifting a 1,000lbs. is no small task. Having just 2 acres it seems to me whatever you end up with will be over-kill for the size of your property.

But, big tractors are really cool.

I would think you will need something with 35+ horses.

When looking at used equipment find one that has been well maintained that looks like new.

Good luck and enjoy your search.

I agree.We will be looking at buying acreage in the near future and I will need a good tractor for that.So buying bigger may be better than trying to sell a smaller tractor to purchase a bigger one.

Well,yes and no.I can't use a fork lift unless it's and off road type and those are EXPENSIVE around here.I part out vehicles and I know the largest crate I sent out was 998lbs.It was cheaper to ship one big crate instead of two small crates.I saw a homebuilt attachment that connects to a 3pt and operates like a fork lift.Max lift was only 8' but I don't see me needing more than that.Not sure what the lift capacity was.I am not afraid of fab work.I am saving up for a small welder.Hope to buy myself an early Xmas present. :D

I guess the real issue for me is which brand has the best track record and parts availability.I have NH,JD,and Kubota.I like the NH but they seem kind of light duty compared to Kabota and JD.I'll exclude the foreign knock offs.

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy?
Here's what I was speaking of.

Unloading%20the%20Gravely.JPG

/ Older CUT tractors.What to buy? #10  
.I part out vehicles

For the loading have you considered an old 3/4 or 1 ton stripped down with the loader or fork lift mounted on the back and rigged to drive backward?:D:D