Grease Gun Help!

/ Grease Gun Help! #1  

bnixon

Gold Member
Tractor
TC33D / 7308 ldr 60" HD bucket
I have had this grease gun for years and have never figured out a good way to fill it with new grease.

It is the typical gun with the pump handle and the screw off grease canister with the pull plunger at the end.

I know there has to be a better way of filling these.

I have tried several different ways and the only success I have had is to grab a handfull of grease and push it in by hand. You can never get it full this way because of air pockets and it is a REAL MESS!!!!

How do you guys fill you grease guns?

Thanks,

/ Grease Gun Help! #2  
I use a cartridge type gun. Pull the plunger back and lock it; Insert the cartridge and take off the pop top type lid; screw the top back on and release the plunger. Push the plunger back to the forward position and lock it. That is all there is to it.

/ Grease Gun Help! #3  
Brandon, I've got both a manual and an air operated grease gun and they both load the same. The cartridge you buy goes in whole. If I remember correctly, I remove the bottom cap from the gun and pull the pop-top off the cartridge. It then slides in stopping on the rim of the cartridge. Cock the plunger back and screw the cap back on the gun. Final step is to push the plunger rod up into the grease, although the actual plunger stays behind.

As usual, a lot harder to describe than to do /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Grease Gun Help! #4  
<font color=blue>How do you guys fill you grease guns?</font color=blue>

I use a standard 14 ounce cartridge in my cordless grease gun. {see attached} Little muss, no fuss. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 47-175045-grease.jpg
    47-175045-grease.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 168
   / Grease Gun Help!
I have tried to use one of these before and it didn't fit in the canister. Was just a little too big. Do they make different sizes?

/ Grease Gun Help! #6  
I've only ever seen 14 oz cartridges, 16 oz tubes and 'mini-cartridges (3 oz?)'. When you say 'too big' was it too long, too wide or both?

/ Grease Gun Help! #7  
They must if you can't put a cartridge in yours.

The last 3 grease guns that I have bought over the last 20 years all use the cartridge. The last one was just last month (air opperated). I didn't notice any that were of a small diameter except for the specialty ones.

Don

/ Grease Gun Help! #8  
I use the cartridges in all of mine. Just bought a new air gun this spring at TSC. I kind of like the new "pinch" catch on the pull rod instead of the pull back and lock. I remember when I used to stick the end of the gun in a barrel and draw back sucking the grease into the tube. One day I did this and as I was screwing the top on I bumped the rod and it released and I found out what "grease gun" really meant. What a mess. The tubes are great. Unless, that is, you have some old gun that is really made well but the plunger is too big for the tube. They can be a pain........ Tom

/ Grease Gun Help! #9  
When you take the end off...clean it up a little and make sure there isn't a cartridge already in there. I had the same problem a couple years ago. Hadn't used the gun in awhile and had to refill it. Couldn't get the new cartridge in. Thought maybe a new size was being used and the old gun was going to have to be replaced. After awhile and a visit to the auto parts store, I finally realized there was a cartridge already in there/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. With all the grease around the end, the cardboard had absorbed it therefore it was difficult to discern a cartridge was in the gun. C

/ Grease Gun Help!
Thanks guys!

I will look and see if a old cartridge is still in there. I am going by TSC today to pick up some stuff and I will grab a new tube of grease and give it another try. I'll let you know how it goes.