Pushing over trees

/ Pushing over trees #1  

BrentD

Silver Member
Ok, this is a bit of a technique question...

I have a 45hp Mitsubishi BD2G dozer and have some dead Blackjack trees I need to push over. The drought this summer was really hard on the trees in my area and we've lost bunch. I've pushed over a bunch of dead willow trees with the dozer and didn't have any problems at all, but willow roots are shallow compared to the Blackjack trees.

To complicate matters, all the trees I need to push over are in locations that are barely accessible to the dozer. I can get to them from only one angle and don't have more than about 40 feet to maneuver behind me.

I've tried digging right up to the trunk as far down as I can go with the limited space, and these trees won't budge. It's like they're made of solid rock or something. We'd just cut them down and pull the stumps out later, but we dulled 3 chainsaw blades trying to cut down 1 of the trees. I've never dealt with wood that is this hard before. Our land is very sandy and it's almost like these trees pull the sand up into their trunks and partially petrify while they're still alive.

Any ideas how to go about this? I wish I had a back-hoe available, I'd trench around the tree and cut the roots that way.

/ Pushing over trees #2  
If you do cut them down, leave a tall stump for future removal. Sorry, can't help anymore.

Vern

/ Pushing over trees #3  
dynamite?:)

/ Pushing over trees #4  
Take it for what it is worth, but pushing dead trees is NOT a good idea, unless you have a solid canopy over your head.
Dead trees have a propensity for the dead top to break and fall back on the side being pushed. A neighbor (couple miles away) died from a dead top that dropped on his head, just a few weeks ago. I've had some close calls, and thought the dead tree was even leaning away from me. I will not push any more over. I will cut them with a chainsaw.

/ Pushing over trees #5  
Id have to agree with been there. spend the time to cut the trees for safety sake. I have seen carbide tipped saw chain in the past ,dont know the price but I have seen it on new stihl "rescue" type saws and depending on how much cutting you have to do it may be worth picking up a chain.

/ Pushing over trees #6  
Here in Georgia we call dead trees " Widow Makers " to anyone who tries to push them over..bad habit of breaking half way up and falling straight down on you...when I first got my JD 450 crawler..I had a couple of close calls before I was told about the widow makers..please don't try it ..best to cut and leave a high stump and then push the stumps over...Life is short enough...

/ Pushing over trees #7  
Leverage is always your friend. Is there any way you can get a cable/chain up as high as you can and pull them over.

Just make sure the cable is longer than the tree so you can get far enough away as to nnot pull it onto yourself

/ Pushing over trees #8  
As mentioned in other post pushing dead tree's over can get you hurt. If those tree's are like the cottonwood they will suck up sand. What I would do is cut as high as you can safely to leave yourself something to push or pull with. The amount of sand should decrease higher up. Chains are cheap and easy to sharpen versus damaged dozers or people.

/ Pushing over trees #9  
It is difficult to push over a tree with a dozer- if you were using a FEL you could have more leverage pushing with the loader raised and pushing against the tree.

What we have done in the past is use a large block and tackle chained to a tree that is roughly 20-45 degrees away from the the tree you wish to push over. Run a large cable through the Block and Tackle and attach to the dozer and pull the tree down with the cable. Place both the block and tackle and cable at least 10 feet above ground level = better leverage.

If the area is difficult to get to with a dozer - this maybe an alternate method of tree removal- given you have enough cable ;)

/ Pushing over trees #10  
It might be possible but it sure does not seem possible a tree could pull dirt or sand up into itself as it does water. If so is there any value to such wood, if so how do they cut it? If the trees are dead then you probably are not keeping enough oil on the chain to protect it from cutting dry wood. A chain saw depends on some sap bining in the tree.