Oil & Fuel Diesel Additive

/ Diesel Additive #1  

Mcourchesne

Bronze Member
Tractor
09 Masssey Furguson GC2400
This will be my first winter owning/Operating my Massey Ferguson Tractor and need some guidance here on Diesel Additives.

I have a Massey GC2400 (not sure if that matters) and will garage it throughout the winter. My garage is not heated but being attached to the house it stays between 30 and 40 degrees through the winter.

1) Should I add diesel additives to the fuel?

2) What about the additives that are added already at the gas station?

The reason why I ask it a buddy of mine said he used it in his truck and it ate away the seals and gaskets.

Suggestions would help as it was 67 yesterday for the high and it will be in the 20's for the low in a few days. :confused:

/ Diesel Additive #2  
The experienced guys here recommended the White Bottle of Diesel Power Services. This is found everywhere. Wal-Mart, truck stops, etc.

I paid $5 and change for the smaller bottle, 16 oz I think. The larger bottle is a better value. This will condition something like 100 gallons.

This conditions the fuel, prevents gelling, raising cetane rating, (similar to raising octane rating for gasoline, I believe) and assists with keeping injectors clean, smoother starts, or so it says.

My major concern was gelling, but I think the other benefits sure can't hurt. Yes, the diesel you buy now is likely blended for winter, but the left over diesel in their tanks was there when they got their delivery. I have no way of judging what I am buying from the gas station. I don't wish to awake some cold morning to jello in my tank.

Last edited:
   / Diesel Additive #3  
I have been using White Bottle of Diesel Power Services for several years in my truck and I use it now year round in my tractors as well.

/ Diesel Additive #4  
I add a small amount of kero during the winter and use Marvel Mystery Oil all year. Never once had a problem with gelling and believe the MMO helps keep things clean. Guy up the road uses an additive I believe it's called 9-11{???}.

/ Diesel Additive #5  
I add a small amount of kero during the winter and use Marvel Mystery Oil all year. Never once had a problem with gelling and believe the MMO helps keep things clean. Guy up the road uses an additive I believe it's called 9-11{???}.

MMO comes in both gasoline and diesel varieties. They are not interchangeable, AFAIK.

Also, 911, is not for everyday use. The Red Bottle; 911 is for after you have jello. It melts it. May you never need to use 911.

/ Diesel Additive #6  
Bp Fick; The MMO I buy tells on the jug to use in diesel OR gas, and gives directions for both.

I don't use the 911 so I don't know all that much about it, the guy up the road uses it. I've never had trouble using a small mixture of kero so IMO if it works don't fix it.

/ Diesel Additive #7  
I use a product made by Howes(sp?) in the winter. From what I've read on here and a couple of other websites, I think it does a better job of stopping the gelling. I use power service in the summer.

/ Diesel Additive #8  
It was -10 degrees F this morning where I live up at 8,000' in the Rockies and it gets down to -25 degrees F quite often. I’ve never had a problem with my Diesel Fuel Gelling since I started to use Stanadyne Performance Formula back in the early 90s. I use it in my present F250 PSD and in my Kubota L39.

I’ve used Stanadyne Performance Formula with every refill, both summer and winter, ever since the reduction of lubricating properties of diesel fuel came about that cost me a Fuel Injection Pump on my first 89 F250 7.3 Liter IDI Diesel.

Performance Formula - Stanadyne

/ Diesel Additive #10  
Bp Fick; The MMO I buy tells on the jug to use in diesel OR gas, and gives directions for both.

MMM is great stuff. They market one for gas and one for diesel. However, the website is not clear in the FAQ section which MMM it is referring to here:

Can I use Marvel Mystery Oilï½® with diesel fuel and if so, how much do I use?
Yes, you can use MMO in diesel fuel as well as gasoline. Use the same amounts as the gasoline treatment recommendations-4ozs of MMO for every 10 gallons of fuel. However, MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

Again, this failure to comply with Federal low sulfur content for 2007 and new diesel motors applies to what?
The standard formula? The diesel formula? Both? It is quite unclear. Perhaps someone else knows.