need advice on tractor to run a small baler

/ need advice on tractor to run a small baler
Thanks to all for the input. All has been helpful. I am still stewing over which tractor to buy.

/ need advice on tractor to run a small baler #12  
The baler pictured is a Mcormic Deering #37 twine tie. The darn thingis good as new and works perfect. It does make normal sized bales. The worst thing is the pick up is very narrow so you wind rows have to be pretty neat.

The lady I got it from was cleaning out a building and had called the junkers to pick up two balers and a rake. I had a kitten she wanted so we traded.

Dan

Last edited:
   / need advice on tractor to run a small baler #13  
"The lady I got it from was cleaning out a building and had called the junkers to pick up two balers and a rake. I had a kitten she wanted so we traded....."

That was one heck of a trade, Dan ;)

Did the cat work out for her as well as the baler has for you?

/ need advice on tractor to run a small baler #14  
Thanks to all for the input. All has been helpful. I am still stewing over which tractor to buy.
Apart from the power requirement the weight of the tractor matters. The plunger in these high density balers makes it move back and forth a bit. One can trick a 2400-2600 lbs 28-30 PTO HP CUT to power the baler, but as Tongy noted it rocks you back and forth quite a lot.

But then one can compare the operating weights of the JX1060C and the JX95 to see if it will be any advantage there:
JX1060C: 6,065 lbs [2751 kg] (2WD) / 6,590 lbs [2989 kg] (4WD)
JX95: 6,790 lbs [3079 kg] (2WD cab) / 7,615 lbs [3454 kg] (4WD cab)
(from www.tractordata.com)

The JX95 is ruffly 12% (2WD against 2WD) and 15% (4WD against 4WD) heavier so I don't think you will "feel" that the JX95 is a bigger tractor.

The specific tractors you have been looking on, are they 2WD or 4WD, cab or only ROPS?

/ need advice on tractor to run a small baler #15  
Hi all. I recently looked at a 2008 Case IH JX 1060c. I am told that this machine has 45 hp PTO. Does anyone have any experience with this machine and will 45 hp PTO be sufficent to run a small baler. Thanks in advance

If you stay with that baler and do not plan on doing allot of hay it should be fine I was running a MF12 with a MF 150 I had a problem with the 150 and I used a Farmall super C to bale with.
As I picked up more fields to do I bought a Heston 4600 in line baler the problem was I also needed a tractor with high ground clearance to straddle the windrow.
If you think that you might get more hay to do you might want to look at baler options and what you would need to power it with.

/ need advice on tractor to run a small baler #16  
I'd post a picture but don't know how. A guy in our valley does all his custom baling with a pair of JD 790 tractors and a big NH square baler. Says he burns about 6 gallons a day in one and less that that in the other. Cuts, rakes and bales. Baler tractor is FWD with a loader the other is a new 2WD.

I watched in amazement and the little tractor didn't miss a lick or bog down any. Not the fastest in the west but steady and not exactly slow either.

/ need advice on tractor to run a small baler #17  
I'd post a picture but don't know how. A guy in our valley does all his custom baling with a pair of JD 790 tractors and a big NH square baler. Says he burns about 6 gallons a day in one and less that that in the other. Cuts, rakes and bales. Baler tractor is FWD with a loader the other is a new 2WD.

I watched in amazement and the little tractor didn't miss a lick or bog down any. Not the fastest in the west but steady and not exactly slow either.

email me the pic, and I will gladly post it for you...
wmjbos@gmail.com