Battery hooked up backwards,OOP!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #1  

sola mesa

What did I fry by hooking up my new battery backwards on my John Deere 850? Yes, I am an idiot!

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #2  
Don't beat yourself up so quickly, "idiot" !:D:D:D. What happened when you put it back in correctly?

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #3  
Speaking from the collector car world... you shouldn't have a problem unless you have an alternator and/or electronics.

Happens a lot on cars with generators and the worst thing is the battery meter reads charge when it's discharging and vice versa...

Does it start normally and charge ok?

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP!
Nothing! No lights no nothing. It also smoked when I first hooked it up backwards. I changed all the fuses.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #5  
I did that to the mayor's Plymouth when I was 17. :D That was when I learned that some cars had a positive ground. I'm not sure just how far he drove it, but it didn't hurt the car; just ruined the new battery.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #6  
Some vehicles have fusible links to protect wiring...

Looks like you will need to start tracing the wires back from the battery, checking for power as you go...

Wish I could give you specifics on Deere.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #7  
If your local dealer has a good service department, a call to them might yeild some good suggestions.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #8  
Have you checked or replaced the battery? It was probably damaged.

/ Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #9  
I have 3 prints for 850 none of them have a fusible link what I think happened is you blew the voltage reg or alt taking the switch with it press the temperature test switch and if you have a light then the power is getting to the switch if not the wire is burnt from starter.Find a white wire w/black tracer at the fuse block and see if you have 12V make sure key is on and light sw is on if you don't have power either the Ing switch is blown or the wire is bad if you find the problem do not leave the alt or voltage regulator in the circuit or you will be going through this again. I hope the starter did not run reverse polarity because it is a PM starter and will turn backwards.

Last edited:
   / Battery hooked up backwards,OOP! #10  
Don't feel alone. I did that to my 300zx, once. Won't do it again. Fried it's little brain. $800 repair. Not sure what it will do to a tractor, not as many electronics to mess up.