Chains Cable Chains and R4 Tires

/ Cable Chains and R4 Tires #1  

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
I am looking for experience with cable type chains, preferably with R4 tires. I already have 2-link style chains but have never used them for fear of damaging the asphalt driveway and/or the concrete floor in the garage. I have been looking at this style from Vulcan Tire or THIS style. Price is NOT the issue here. I have 12x16.5NHS R4 tires on the rear.

I am just looking for some extra bite in the deep snow, and the ice forms just after plowing the driveway.

/ Cable Chains and R4 Tires #2  
I don't have experience with the cables but from just looking at them it looks like they WOULD give you that little extra bite you're looking for.

I can tell you from experience that chains, in particular the v-bar type do chip the concrete, hundreds of little chips and this is on 3500psi mix. I was surprised myself since there are some many of them (the cross links/v-bars) you'd think it would be like the bed of nails trick where the weight would be distributed better.

They do scratch the asphalt but that seems to go away in time/weather.

JB.

/ Cable Chains and R4 Tires #3  
this is a timely question.. after clearing 6 driveways of 12" of snow yesterday and today I realized that chains would have helped alot..

I am having trouble finding chains for my 2320 tires (31x12-16.5), and I saw that SCC/vulcan has a close size of 32x12.5-16.5 in the cable chain styles you referenced..

I would think those cable chain designs would work very well since you dont have to worry about the cross pieces slipping in between the treads..

I emailed SCC to see what they would recommend for my size tires AND if they would recommend cable chains for the tractor use.. Ill post the response when (If??) i get it..

KennyD- what does the NHS mean in the tire size?

Brian

/ Cable Chains and R4 Tires
this is a timely question.. after clearing 6 driveways of 12" of snow yesterday and today I realized that chains would have helped alot..

I am having trouble finding chains for my 2320 tires (31x12-16.5), and I saw that SCC/vulcan has a close size of 32x12.5-16.5 in the cable chain styles you referenced..

I would think those cable chain designs would work very well since you dont have to worry about the cross pieces slipping in between the treads..

I emailed SCC to see what they would recommend for my size tires AND if they would recommend cable chains for the tractor use.. Ill post the response when (If??) i get it..

KennyD- what does the NHS mean in the tire size?

Brian

Thanks Brian...

NHS= Non Highway Service. From a Firestone website:

Non-Highway Service (NHS) Tires Used in Skid-Steer/Mini-Loader, Aerial Lift and Backhoe Front Applications

/ Cable Chains and R4 Tires
I don't have experience with the cables but from just looking at them it looks like they WOULD give you that little extra bite you're looking for.

I can tell you from experience that chains, in particular the v-bar type do chip the concrete, hundreds of little chips and this is on 3500psi mix. I was surprised myself since there are some many of them (the cross links/v-bars) you'd think it would be like the bed of nails trick where the weight would be distributed better.

They do scratch the asphalt but that seems to go away in time/weather.

JB.

Thanks JB...Just to be clear the chains I have are NOT V-Bars or any other bars for that matter-just plain old chain. May they would not hurt the surfaces so bad?

Still would like to here about these cables...