Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

Default Cable Chains and R4 Tires

I am looking for experience with cable type chains, preferably with R4 tires. I already have 2-link style chains but have never used them for fear of damaging the asphalt driveway and/or the concrete floor in the garage. I have been looking at this style from Vulcan Tire or THIS style. Price is NOT the issue here. I have 12x16.5NHS R4 tires on the rear.

I am just looking for some extra bite in the deep snow, and the ice forms just after plowing the driveway.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

Default Re: Cable Chains and R4 Tires

I don't have experience with the cables but from just looking at them it looks like they WOULD give you that little extra bite you're looking for.

I can tell you from experience that chains, in particular the v-bar type do chip the concrete, hundreds of little chips and this is on 3500psi mix. I was surprised myself since there are some many of them (the cross links/v-bars) you'd think it would be like the bed of nails trick where the weight would be distributed better.

They do scratch the asphalt but that seems to go away in time/weather.

JB.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

this is a timely question.. after clearing 6 driveways of 12" of snow yesterday and today I realized that chains would have helped alot..

I am having trouble finding chains for my 2320 tires (31x12-16.5), and I saw that SCC/vulcan has a close size of 32x12.5-16.5 in the cable chain styles you referenced..

I would think those cable chain designs would work very well since you dont have to worry about the cross pieces slipping in between the treads..

I emailed SCC to see what they would recommend for my size tires AND if they would recommend cable chains for the tractor use.. Ill post the response when (If??) i get it..

KennyD- what does the NHS mean in the tire size?

Brian
    Bedford, VA
    2320 w/ 62D MMM, 200CX FEL, Pats EZ Change, LX4 Cutter
    Co-owner (with my father) of John Deere 790, 30 HP, 4x4, 513 cutter, 70 FEL
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    this is a timely question.. after clearing 6 driveways of 12" of snow yesterday and today I realized that chains would have helped alot..

I am having trouble finding chains for my 2320 tires (31x12-16.5), and I saw that SCC/vulcan has a close size of 32x12.5-16.5 in the cable chain styles you referenced..

I would think those cable chain designs would work very well since you dont have to worry about the cross pieces slipping in between the treads..

I emailed SCC to see what they would recommend for my size tires AND if they would recommend cable chains for the tractor use.. Ill post the response when (If??) i get it..

KennyD- what does the NHS mean in the tire size?

Brian
    Thanks Brian...

NHS= Non Highway Service. From a Firestone website:

Non-Highway Service (NHS) Tires Used in Skid-Steer/Mini-Loader, Aerial Lift and Backhoe Front Applications
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

Quote Originally Posted by JB4310 View Post
    I don't have experience with the cables but from just looking at them it looks like they WOULD give you that little extra bite you're looking for.

I can tell you from experience that chains, in particular the v-bar type do chip the concrete, hundreds of little chips and this is on 3500psi mix. I was surprised myself since there are some many of them (the cross links/v-bars) you'd think it would be like the bed of nails trick where the weight would be distributed better.

They do scratch the asphalt but that seems to go away in time/weather.

JB.
    Thanks JB...Just to be clear the chains I have are NOT V-Bars or any other bars for that matter-just plain old chain. May they would not hurt the surfaces so bad?

Still would like to here about these cables...
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks