JD 1050 Clutch Stuck

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck #1  
Tractor
JD 1050
Greetings.

I have a circa '85 JD 1050 w/ loader and backhoe which I use intermittently. Last time I used it was this summer.

Went to use it a few weeks ago and I cannot get the clutch to work. Depressing clutch pedal to put tractor in gear results in grinding.

Couple of guys locally said this is probably due to the clutch plate sticking to the flywheel, and I should try a few things -- none of which worked (lifting *** end of tractor w/ hoe and 'dropping it', getting tractor up to speed by towing it and throwing it into gear, etc.)

Any other ideas? Thanks, Mike

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck #2  
Your 1050 is the big brother to my 850 which had similar issues. All these JD series tractors where made by Yanmar and they all have the same issue. Your Clutch disk has rusted to the flywheel ever so slightly. If you are storing your tractor for an extended period of time, your owners manual advises you to dog the clutch pedal down to avoid this rusting/sticking. With that said, I solved this problem by starting the tractor in high gear and then with the clutch pedal depressed all the way, you lower your loader into the dirt to break the clutch loose. YES you have to defeat your safety switch to start the tractor in gear and yes you best do it where you are clear of obsticals. And YES Plan ahead! AFter your clutch breaks loose, be sure to slip it a few seconds to burnish off any accumlated rust. I used High gear because if the clutch does not break loose for some reason, you can easily stall the tractor and shut it down. Good luck!

regards, Phil

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck #3  
You can also hook someting to it and pull it a few inches if it will move if not the torque of the pulling should break it free,MAKE SURE it cant start key off,or what ever shuts it off.Seat safety switch should do this if it is working. We had to do this to a farmall 140 every year because it was only used a time or two.Do not spray it with anything you might ruin the clutch.

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck
You can also hook someting to it and pull it a few inches if it will move if not the torque of the pulling should break it free.

I tried putting it in gear (engine off) and then pulling it. no go. All I managed to do was drag the tractor

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck
With that said, I solved this problem by starting the tractor in high gear and then with the clutch pedal depressed all the way, you lower your loader into the dirt to break the clutch loose. YES you have to defeat your safety switch to start the tractor in gear and yes you best do it where you are clear of obsticals. And YES Plan ahead! AFter your clutch breaks loose, be sure to slip it a few seconds to burnish off any accumlated rust. I used High gear because if the clutch does not break loose for some reason, you can easily stall the tractor and shut it down.

Thanks Phil. This is something I haven't tried. If I understand your process... Basically, disable the safety switch, put the tractor in high gear, and start it (I'm surprised it would start, actually, with the transmission engaged -- do you have to lift the azz-end so the rear wheels do not drag while starting it?)

Once started, with clutch pedal depressed, lower loader... should put torque on flywheel/clutch plate and make it break free.

I guess only question would be... without digging thru all my technical manuals to find the answer... is the safety switch easily located?

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck #6  
The interlock switch on my 850 is engaged by the high/low range lever. look around for a pair of wires connecting to the transmission and this should be your interlock switch. you should be able to jump these together and then bump the key switch to verify the starter turns over. We had a similar situation with a model 750 where I worked and this cleared it as well.

Good luck , Phil

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck
Thanks for all the assistance.

I dug thru my technical manuals and verified the location of the neutral safety switch. I was able to bypass the safety and start the tractor with the rear wheels lifted. Then, lowering it instantly broke the clutch free.

Now when I store the tractor I'm going to put a spring clamp on the clutch to keep it engaged.

/ JD 1050 Clutch Stuck #9  
Use a block of wood and block the pedal down(clutch disengaged)
Bill