Get An Engine Heater!!

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
If you have a diesel engine and live where it gets cold ... get an engine heater!!

I've had my JD 3320 for several years now. Its always started fairly well during winters so long as its stored inside. Last winter I made the mistake of leaving it outside one night when it got down to single digits (F), and it simply would not start. I killed the battery trying to start it. I ended up putting a blanket over the engine and putting a 100W light bulb under the engine. It finally started but belched black soot.

When I'd bought the tractor the JD dealer insisted that I didn't need an engine heater, so I didn't pursue it any further. After last winter's problem I asked the dealer to install one. It turned out that it already had one - its just that the cord was really well hidden. Sigh.

This morning I left the tractor outside near my driveway because it was snowing last night. I plugged in the heater for about 90-120 minutes before starting. I gave it 20 seconds of glow plugs, turned the key, and was stunned by how fast it started - faster than it starts in the summer (how can that be??). It ran for maybe 10-15 seconds on high RPM and then kicked down to the lower RPM idle. Sweet!!!

I'm now a life-long fan of engine heaters for diesel engines.

If you don't have one ... get one!!!

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #2  
I couldn't agree more. I have had my tractor for 2+ years. We get 48 days on average when the temperature gets below zero. I had the block heater installed before I picked it up. I use the heater when it gets down below +25 for at least a half hour. I think the coldest temperature that I have used the tractor was -20F and I had the block heater on for 90 minutes. It did start quickly, but you still need to warm up the hydraulic fluid appropriately before you use it.

Last edited:
   / Get An Engine Heater!! #3  
Money well spent. :)

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #4  
KennK
I agree, a jacket water heater is money well spent and your engine and starter will reward you with great service life.

I spent 3 years in the Yukon where saw repaired many failed engines due to cold starts. on my own engine, I'd wrap a battery blanket around the battery, one around the starter and installed 2 coolant heaters, even then, at -45 to -50F getting engines started was exciting.

Given that a significant amount of wear on engines occurs at start-up, you want to be as conscientious as you can if you love your machine. Warming the coolant, engine oil pan heater is an excellent idea in very cold climates and battery blanket, all are good ideas depending on temperature..

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #5  
engine heaters are a must IMO. Not only do they help with cold engine start they also help with lubrication, by warming up the oils.

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #6  
An engine heater was one of the items I insisted on when I ordered my tractor 6 years ago. Definetley an invaluable option

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #7  
Once you are bringing electricity to your tractor's block heater, consider a trickle charger permanently mounted and a cube tap

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #8  
All engines start differently. We have new tractors that will start below -25 degrees and we have some new ones that won't start when it's plus 25 without assistance.

Block heaters are good when installed properly for warming the engine in the head area for a clean start but there is still more such as oil pan heaters to allow the oil to flow quicker.
The best thing that can be done is to have the battery warm! This can be done with a battery heater or a maintainer that gives it a low charge. At 32 degree's your battery is half what it is at 70 degree's and it is more often the battery not being able to crank the engine fast enough for it to fire.

/ Get An Engine Heater!!
Once you are bringing electricity to your tractor's block heater, consider a trickle charger permanently mounted and a cube tap

Yup ... I've used a trickle charger since I got the tractor. I just hadn't realized the huge difference the engine heater would make.

BTW, I still do let everything run for a while before heading off with the tractor - to let the fluids get nice and warm. It actually tells me when the hydraulics are warm, since the FEL moves slower when things are cold - much like my old body.

/ Get An Engine Heater!! #10  
Do newer tractors have compression release to aid starting?

My 1983 Kubota diesel does and I rarely use it. But a couple of weeks ago, it didn't start and the battery was weak. I put a charge on the battery and came back and tried it and still didn't start up at first try, so I used the compression release, got it spinning fast right away and let go to give it compression and bang, it started right up.