Hydro's and brake pedals

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #1  

FritzII

Silver Member
Tractor
McCormick CT36HST w/FEL, Kubota G2160
I'm thinking about my 2nd tractor. I sold my BX and I'm thinking about a Feb. purchase of a new 30 to 35 HP compact. I had many occasions where the BX went where it wanted to go and not where I wanted it to go. I noticed that the brake pedals are in front of the hydro pedal on Kubotas. I'm thinking I want the pedals on the other side ? I want to ask some questions from owners here.

How do you use the individual brakes ?
Is this not important on the heavier tractors ?
Should I stop thinking about it ?

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #2  
You know, I never thought much about it. on My TC18, the brakes (split pedal w/locking tab) are outboard and slightly forward of the treadle on the right hand side; I sure could not operate the treadle at the same time as the brakes.

Now, if I were trying to stop, I would be off the treadle anyway. But if I were trying to go, while braking one wheel like a skid steer, that would be more difficult. I've just never had the occasion to try it. Is this what concerns you?

I live here in hilly Southwestern Pa, too. And there may be an occasion for braking one wheel. I'll wait for more experienced operators to happen along.

Happy New Year!

Tom

Last edited:
   / Hydro's and brake pedals #3  
I have a Deere 3320, 32 hp E-hydro. the wheel brakes are on the left and the hydro on the right. I have no idea if the brakes work or not. I have never touched them. I think I have used the parking brake a couple of times when hooking up to the 3 point and always when I haul the tractor.

The intention of individual brakes is to shorten the turning radius if a brake is applied while turning. I have used them a lot on large farm tractors but never had the need on my little one. They probably have their place in operation but not for what I use my tractor for.

Dan

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #4  
Deere seems to have that problem figured out, and when other tractors have hydro and the L/R brake pedals on the same side, they are indeed useless. Maybe it is a patent thing. But while I don't have a need to use the L/R brakes very often, when they are needed THEY ARE NEEDED.
4wd takes away a lot of situations where the left or right rear wheels don't need to be brake'd (stopped), but when one wheel loses traction it can be very helpful to be able to apply the brake to that wheel and force traction from the other one.
Clearly a design fault to me, when they are on the side of the forward reverse pedals.

Thanks to Deere, on this one. :)

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #5  
I have a Deere 3320, 32 hp E-hydro. the wheel brakes are on the left and the hydro on the right. I have no idea if the brakes work or not. I have never touched them. I think I have used the parking brake a couple of times when hooking up to the 3 point and always when I haul the tractor.

The intention of individual brakes is to shorten the turning radius if a brake is applied while turning. I have used them a lot on large farm tractors but never had the need on my little one. They probably have their place in operation but not for what I use my tractor for.

Dan

Agree with Dan, I have a Kubota tractor with HST. Other than parking, I never use the brakes! On occasion I will sometimes use the left or right brake only on my old Ford 8N when a tight turn is desired but never use it on the Kubota (never had a need to). Jim

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #6  
I have the B3030 hydro which does not have a clutch pedal. You would think Kubota (by now) would have at least put the brakes on the left side just like Deere. Stupid in my opinion that they haven't figured this out by now!

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #7  
I really have to agree with the above posts, I have often shaken my head about the brakes on the same side as the gas pedal on the Kubotas I have owned. How do you use them???

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #8  
I just have to say that I am amused, baffled, confused and dazed over this thread....

I never thought of it, never had to considering I have a standard shift BUT, to have the breaks on the same side as the treadle throws me for a loop.!! Useless is the proper word, as stated above.

How many feet do we have on our right side.??

Un-real.

This thread could go on for miles.....

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #9  
I don't know why a manufacturer would build something that is unusual to an industry unless it was a feature. jd keep with a hand clutch on there tractors for ten years after everyone went to foot clutches on the left and brakes on the right. Been that way for fifty plus years on tractors even the green ones! Now they want to reverse it, can't say it wouldn't be nice if you should be using the brakes to steer but only the manufactuer will win with increased parts sales from broken axle housings and hubs!! jd even states to use the brakes to steer and are probably safe in all other then commercial use to not even have a warrantee claim!!!! Seen it, and I know I'll see it again!!! Keep buying them that way!!! To think that less then 1/4 of the compacts sold are that way! They will be the next collector tractor before there time!

/ Hydro's and brake pedals #10  
I'm one of those folks that HAVE used the brakes for steering - mostly when going up a hill in the woods with backhoe attached. And I simply swing my left leg to the right side and apply the appropriate brake. The floor is flat, so this isn't a huge challenge. Maybe done this ten time over the past couple of years. Although it would be more intuitive to have them on opposite sides, it wasn't a deal-breaker for me.

Mike