OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug!

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi everyone,

Just heading out the door for another visit to the blue and orange dealers...almost certainly go orange, but blue is just up the road.

I posted a question about the MMM for a B2410 and am comfortable with buying one. BUT someone mentioned something in an answer that I can't dump out of my head: the ease of removal of the rear mounted finish mower.

I keep thinking that I will not use the mower and backhoe at the same time, almost never would want to...so why not go with the rear mounted finish mower? Only want to mow or hoe at any one time anyway.

THis seems to be an operating question, rather than an attachment question. MMM look down...RFM look back...all the time?

How easy is it to forget to look back and to get into trouble with the swing of the RFM?

Overall, do both the MMM and RFM give about the same results?

Anyone totally hate one and love the other?

My dealer will help me decide tomorrow or Monday whether I buy or not. I guess that in the end I will buy because his price quote and my numbers are close and we can talk it out probably.

Funny thing is that Kubota will not sell the B2410 with the bi-speed option and R4 tires. Dealer called to confirm...something about the R4s not being speed matched close enough...I missed the logic behind the statement, but...I want the bi-speed so I guess I will go with bar/turf tires.

About the only question that remains in my mind is the mower...both will work fine I think...but the RFM is starting to seem like the logical choice...but is it?

I know Mr. T.......... [wish your handle was easier to remember...yes, you, buddy, the one with the rough edges] Just joking...if you think the T guy tells it like it is, you have not spent years working in a steel mill!

Time is running out and I gotta decide...HELP!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my two other posts. Your advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Bill Macher in Pgh, PA
Just north of the Ohio River

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #2  
I can't speak from experience, but from the comments I've seen, I'd say the quality of the cut seems to be about the same. But the prices for the RFM are definitely better than the MMM's.

By the way, if you take a look at the <font color=blue>Blue Boomers</font color=blue> (the "D's"), you'll find that the seats swivel 20 degrees either way to make it a little more comfortable when you do have to look behind you!

P.S. Here's the thread that Bird alluded to:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=6283&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>3PT Finish Mower vs. Belly Mower</A>.

I'm sure there are others as well, but this one covers it pretty well.

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #3  
Bill, I'm not good enough on the search function on here; I tried to find the previous discussions of the difference in the rear finish mower (or 3-point finish mower) vs. the mid-mount mowers (or belly mowers) and can't find it. Personally, I used the rear discharge 3-point Bush Hog finish mower and can't imagine anything I'd have liked better. Perhaps the main advantage of the mid-mount is that you don't have to look back; you can just look down at the mower to see how close you're getting to obstacles. It may also enable you to turn tighter around some obstacles without backing up. However, the mid-mount mower is tractor specific; only good for that particular brand and model of tractor (well, maybe some of them fit more than one model anyway), while the rear mower can be changed from one tractor to another if you ever decide to do any trading of tractors (or want to sell the mower in which case you have a much broader potential buyer base). The mid-mount mower usually costs more than the rear finish mower. The rear mower can be backed into corners, under trees and bushes, etc. The rear mower is easier to hook up and unhook. But of course, you also have to get used to it swinging in the opposite direction when you turn. The mid-mount mower can probably have a bagger added, if you wish; doubt that any rear mower can. The rear mower can be picked up higher by the 3-point hitch for cleaning underneath and/or removing the blades for sharpening and/or replacing (block it up instead of trusting the hydraulics, of course). As far as the quality of the cutting is concerned, I doubt there's any difference.

So they make both types; your choice./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #4  
I am still new at this with only 30 hours in the seat but I'll give you my view in case no others show up before check writing time.

Personally I cannot see you driving around with the BH attached except when you need it. It just seems like a lot of additional weight and something to have to look out for when backing or turning anyway. If that is true you can go either way.

On the other hand, I can see you leaving the MMM on when you want to do other attachment work if ground clearence is not an issue in those areas. Might want to give that some thought.

Finally, if you are using a rear mounted implement for a task, you will pay attention to it so I don't think there is much trouble to get into. Of my 30 hours, 25 is bush hog work so I was looking back a lot since that was the tool doing the work. The trouble I found is when doing FEL work, it is easier to forget what is attached in the back and that is when you may run it into something.

As to looking down versus loking back, looking down is easier, no doubt about it. Once you get familiar with your turning radius I don't think you will be looking back as much as when you first start out, though. And I have read the rear mowers are cheaper than MMM so that may help you decide also.

Good luck. I am really enjoying mine.

GS

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #5  
Hello,

I don't have either of the mowers at this point but it seems to me that many of our TBN folks out here that have tried both tend to like the RFM much more. Perhaps because it is much easier to remove or because it is significantly less money. I have ordered a Rear mower myself because I can't see driving around with the mid-mount on. I need the clearance.

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #6  
Just to throw another worry into the fire. Not sure about Kubota, But most MMM mounts are not compatable with backhoe subframe mounts. And I for one won't own a hoe for a CUT without a subframe. I currently own a Kubota L345DT with a kubota subframe backhoe, plus a New Holland TC29 with a Woods 7500 subframe backhoe. Neither are compatible with a MMM in that configuration.

Currently I use a First Choice 72" rear discharge 3pt finish mower.(excellent mower) Its like any other 3pt attachment, after using it a couple of times, it becomes automatic. I still look over my shoulder when I'm up close to a fence line or something. A MMM might be better if you have lots of objects that you have to do a 360 around. But if there aren't to many objects then its more fun, with a RFM doing figure eight patterns to cut all around it. Plus you can back in under low hanging trees.

It only takes 5 minutes to take the hoe off of the TC29, and another 5 minutes to hook up the RFM. Heck its all tractor time.

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #7  
The only cure for the tractor bug is to just go sign the papers on one. As to your questions..... I went with a rear discharge RFM. Initially because it was the only option. My backhoe is a frame mount and unless the brackets are removed it interferes with the mmm. Over the last year of use I have really gotten to like the rear discharge RFM because of the ability to back into areas that I couldn't get with a MMM and because of how easy it is to put on and take off (especially with the extendable 3pt arms of the deluxe NH boomer) . I agree with your statement that you wouldn't want to use a MMM and a backhoe at the same time. In fact it is probably better for the MMM to be removed when digging. I resepcfully disagree with garagesmoker in that I only put the mower on to mow and all the rest of the time I leave the backhoe on. Not only is a backhoe very handy but it makes great rear balast. As to worrying about hitting something the 72'' RFM sticks out much more than the backhoe. The backhoe only sticks out in the very middle. You get used to it. Good luck.

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #8  
I believe that MMMs are better. They most approximate the design of dedicated mowing machines. The only reasons for going for a 3PT mower are:-

1. Lack of a dedicated mid PTO
2. Price
3. Proprietary nature of the mower.

It is simply safer to look forward while moving forward.

Seth

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #9  
SethO,

I would tend to disagree with you. Most folks out here are not using their tractors as dedicated lawnmowers. (I think?) I could be wrong though./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Although you've made good points about reasons for using the 3PH versus the MMM you may have forgotten one. It is far easier to remove the 3PH mower. As far as being safer - you may be right. If you are mowing flat open areas though I wouldn't think that you'd have to spend much time looking backwards. My rear mower is on the way so I'll let you know how it all turns out.

/ OUCH! Been bitten by the tractor bug! #10  
Since I've got used to my rear mount mower, I rarely look back.

Eugene