Oil & Fuel A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions?

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #11  
I'm amassed at how many people I run into that think that if an over the road truck can run 1:50 or 1:100 gas/diesel, then they should be able to run 1:6 or 1:30 ratios in their small tractor/PUtruck engines...
Unless you have a multi fuel diesel, or one heck of a fuel delivery system ... don't do it! Check with a shop that specializes in injector and injector pump service. Gasoline has NO lube for the pump and will damage the system. It has been pointed out that we are already very concerned about the lack of lube in ULSD. Why would you deliberately OR unintentionally further contribute to this low lube situation? ? KennyV

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #12  
That's no doubt too much gasoline to even consider running. I might go with 10% or lower in winter but you're talking about more than 20%.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #13  
Back in the late 70s or early 80s, someone was advocating putting about 10% gasoline into diesel to aid in winter starting. Then someone pointed out that there is a big safety risk. In gas tanks, the vapor mixture is too rich to ignite, but in a diesel tank with only 10% gasoline, it's very near the flammability mixture point.

I'd purge the tank and the lines to the engine and refill with diesel and go on. Just be very careful about sparking metal against metal.

Ralph

One of the someones who advocated that was Volkswagen in its diesels. I did that with no ill effects in the winter when -40F occured occassionally.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #14  
CMHARCOU,
Been in the diesel industry for 38 years, you might say engines are my passion.
Please take all of the great advice here and act accordingly, get rid of as much gas as you can and please do not use you glow plugs for a while. Gasoline and glow plugs do not work well together, ie: the big bang theory.
Lubricity is a huge issue for pumps and injectors. (cetane vs. octane). Check out Cetane as a measurement of the combustion quality for diesel engines, during compression ignition.
Been on the service end of diesel repair for many years (Cat Cummins, DDC and International), I can tell you I have had many engines apart due to well intentioned truckers adding everything from automatic transmission fluid, alcohol, brake line antifreeze (air brake), gasoline, propane, natural gas, lots of ether etc, all in an attempt to enhance cold engines capability or increase HP or get better fuel economy. Fuel conditioner is a great idea for all seasons.

Dan

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #15  
I plan on draining the tank today, and changing the fuel filter. THe tractor is a Kubota L4400. I am estimating 2-3 Gallons of Gas got put in the tractor. The tractor was nearly empty of diesel. It was ran for about 5 minutes with the gas diesel mix in it and apparently ran just fine. Any suggestions? I know this isn't the first time this has happened. the fuel tank is 11.1 gallons.
If it ran fine, the gas did not make it thru to the engine yet. Drain all you can, the fill with diesel and go. It will probably go thru a short weird period as the little gas in the lines and filter works its way on thru. Then it will clear up.
larry

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #16  
The truckers that I knew when I was in Idaho did not use gasoline they use Kerosene. big difference. Like others have said drain, replace filter and drive on.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #17  
The owners manual on my 1996 Dodge Cummins diesel said you could run up to 30% gas in the diesel. Not that I ever did it. Just what the manual says.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #18  
Just curious, what do you do with the stuff you drain out, whether gas or diesel or a combination of both?

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #19  
I'd drain the tank, and filter and change filter, then flush with disesel tot he pump, then either bleed the pump at the injector lines and then at the injectors for a bit.. take yer time to not overheat the starter..or if a gear tractor, just bunch up a towel unde rthe pump, and crack all the lines at the injectors and have someone tow you around the yard for 10 minutes... then button up and go.

as for the diesel gas mix? sounds like parts cleaner for 'coffee can' parts... or sump flush fluid if ya got a jug to save it in..

soundguy

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #20  
Run the used stuff in chain saws, lawn mowers or just dump it out.