Oil & Fuel A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions?

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #1  

cmharcou

I plan on draining the tank today, and changing the fuel filter. THe tractor is a Kubota L4400. I am estimating 2-3 Gallons of Gas got put in the tractor. The tractor was nearly empty of diesel. It was ran for about 5 minutes with the gas diesel mix in it and apparently ran just fine. Any suggestions? I know this isn't the first time this has happened. the fuel tank is 11.1 gallons.

Last edited:
   / A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #2  
Back in the late 70s or early 80s, someone was advocating putting about 10% gasoline into diesel to aid in winter starting. Then someone pointed out that there is a big safety risk. In gas tanks, the vapor mixture is too rich to ignite, but in a diesel tank with only 10% gasoline, it's very near the flammability mixture point.

I'd purge the tank and the lines to the engine and refill with diesel and go on. Just be very careful about sparking metal against metal.

Ralph

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #3  
Engine may run tad wamer until all gas burnt..do as you suggest.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #4  
Drain the tank and top off with fresh diesel, change the fuel filter, and run the hand primer pump to mix the reaming gas mixture with the new fuel.

Chris

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #5  
It is not uncommon for truckers to put some gasoline in their diesel fuel, in cold weather.

Apparently your running a mixture of mostly gasoline. I would drain the fuel tank, and fuel bowl. Refill with diesel, turn on the ignition switch so the fuel pump is on, crack open the fuel lines and let the gasoline out. Then fire it up, and see how it runs.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #6  
i'd drain or syphon what i could out of the tank, add fresh diesel to the tank, and change fuel filters. my cummins powered dodges love having a gallon or 2 of gas in their tanks in the winter, as does my detroit diesel powered generator. it helps keep the fuel flowing when extremely cold. i know lots of truckers who do the same w/their rigs.

a little gas is not going to hurt anything. it will be quickly diluted with a fill-up of diesel. i would not worry about your tank blowing up, nor needing to purge the lines-seriously, its a little gas. like i said, alot of people purposely mix some gas in w/diesel.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #7  
I don't think you are in trouble with what you are planning to do with draining the tank and replacing the fuel filters. When talking of adding a gallon or two into a bigger truck they normally have 50 gallon plus tanks to over 100 so a gallon or two would not hold a candle to your mix in a 11 gallon tank!

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #8  
I agree with the 'drain as much out as you can, change the filters, add fresh diesel, etc...'. Gas in diesel can grenade your motor, and do bad things over time to your injection pump, which needs all the 'lube' it can get from the diesel, especially with the new USLD.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #9  
I might add some Diesel conditioner for the added lubrication for the injection pump. I might even add ash-less 2 cycle oil for a bit more lubrication for the tank of fuel.

/ A few gallons of gas accidentally got put in my diesel tractor. Suggestions? #10  
Since dex brought it up, what about adding something to the LSD used in older engines?