JD 2210 Tractor Vibration

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration
Did this vibration just start when it got bitter cold? I would add some power service before I did any thing else. It has been sub zero the last 2 nights(-10 now) and there are more diesel pickups getting towed in than you could imagine. Bio diesel and cold weather don't mix and the stations don't have to post whether you are getting bio or #2 diesel.
Bill

Hooked,

Use #2 diesel with anti-gel and the tractor is kepted in a heated garage.

Well, I ordered the parts today and they will be here Wednesday. I am going to work on it Wednesday night. But it was the main drive shaft coming off the engine like zzvyb6 suggested, the Universials are definately loose. I can't see the rubber coupling until I take the floor off, after removing the cab and ROPS first, I suspect it is shot also as the majority of the noise is coming right where it is. Then if we can get the stuff changed, all is good. Otherwise, then we will have to split the tractor like they are doing for the radiator cooling fans on this model.

So if you hearing cussing and tool banging around and the noises of beer bottles opening in the garage, its me whining about having to split the tractor to get to the drive shaft and quiting for the night!

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #13  
Good luck Bill...Be sure to take some pictures;)

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #14  
That was weird about your post vanishing. I had posed the question about a injector being partially clogged and causing it to not fire that cylinder all of the time.

this sound possible a fast and cheap way to find if this is the possibility get a inferred thermometer point it at the manifold see if a big temperature change this will tell you the bad cylinder injector they cost $35 bucks :)

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #15  
this sound possible a fast and cheap way to find if this is the possibility get a inferred thermometer point it at the manifold see if a big temperature change this will tell you the bad cylinder injector they cost $35 bucks :)
sorry boys I always read a book from the back to the front i will start at the front from now on lol

Well gang,

I took the tractor apart tonight. It only took 1.5 hours, suspect it will take more time putting it back together. Glad to report I was able to get the drive shaft out without having to split the tractor. Found that the universal joints were nothing but powder. The big vibration damper was in good shape along with everything else. I repeatedly asked the Deere dealer several times about the universals and they could not figure out what kind was in there, I even called Deere direct and they didn't know. They list the drive shaft for $580.00 and kept telling me I needed to replace it because the universals were not servicable. I am here to tell you that they even had grease zerks, but no way to get to them unless you tore the tractor down like we did tonight. So I guess when they mean not servicable they mean you can't grease them, because you sure can replace them. I also found an easy way to repair the transmssion fan through the floor rather than splitting the tractor if I ever need to replace it. So I have it all in pieces over in my mechanic buddy's garage and will go get the universials tomorrow and hopefully be able to get the whole thing put back together tomorrow night. A whole lot of work to get to 2 universal joints, not a real good design on Deere's part. I will take some pictures tomorrow when I am back over there and share them.

Many thanks for all the ideas....think we are back on the road to seat time tomorrow, just in time to do some more snowblowing!!!!

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #17  
Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear that you are making progress. Next time I need some work done on my Kubota I will give you a call. :)

The latest and greatest on the universial joint saga. First of all, I think everybody I talked to so far looking for the universial joints call them different names. I suspect I have heard them called 5 or 6 different names. So I make sure I have a picture to make sure they are all on the same page and now carry the one I removed from the tractor in my pocket to show them. So anyways, after going to a couple of bearing shops, drive line shops and several phone calls I could find no one with the universials or and one that could find any with the same measurements. Now I know why JD is saying they are unservicable, they put ones in that you can not find anywhere. Then they said it was a Yanmar part and then Yanmar wouldn't give out part numbers or information about them......

Then, at a suggestion from a friend of mine, I call the Kubota dealer,,,,,guess what, they had the universals as a common part. Needless to say I went to the dealer in a blinding snow storm with my universial in hand to compare the universials . Tada, they were a perfect match (we even mic'd them out to make sure). Although they only had one in stock, I ordered the other one and it will be here Monday. But you know the parts guy and owner of the dealership both had to mention I should've bought one of his orange tractors..... I knew it was coming, was just a matter of time.

So now I will have to say I have a Deerota tractor. But that's ok, I have learned several things in this process.

1. Replacing the transmission fan in the future if need is not going to be a big deal like spliting the tractor. Removing the floor is the best way to get to the fan.
2. Knocking out the universial to replace the fan without cutting the fan in half is possible with minimal cost in regards to the universial.
3. No need to split the tractor to work on the shaft or the fan.
4. No need to spend all them hours working on the tractor to do any of the above.

Lastly, I learn a lot about my tractor in this process and of course this all happens right in the middle of a significant snow storm and had to call another friend to come plow me and my outlaws out.

Monday night I should be golden. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to pass on what I have learned and hopefully save someone else a lot of time and energy.

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #19  
Wildbill,

Can you post the Kubota P/Ns for us so I can save them with my other numbers?
I have been able to grease the ones on mine but it's about as much fun as picking fly crap out of pepper...

Here is the part number 37410-13722 Joint Kit, but I would suggest measuring yours to make sure they are the same. My assumption is that they are all the same ...but one never knows. However, a cool name for the part .........