JD 2210 Tractor Vibration

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #1  

Wildbill34

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2210
Hello all,

Sorry for the repost, but my previous post earlier today has disappeared.

I am hoping you can give me some ideas where to look for the vibration noise I am getting.

Here is the senario; JD 2210, yanmar engine 3TNE74, curtis cab, 47 inch snowblower.

I thought maybe it was the PTO vibrating on the Snow Blower, but when I turn off the PTO the vibration continues. Then I thought maybe it might be in the transmission but when I stop or have it in neutral the vibration continues. I have a cab and it might be making this louder than it really is, but I can really discern a difference after passing 2200 RPM. The other thing is that this showed up for the first time about a week ago. I have checked the fan, fan belts and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I only have 424 hrs on the machine and the oils and maintenance is done routinely. It started out intermittenly, but now seems to be happening far more often. While I am no means a deisel mechanic, I was hoping to get some ideas where to look or how to eliminate possible causes of the vibration. On the other hand, this may be natural for them to vibrate like this, but I don't think that is the case. I really don't want something bad to happen, but I also don't really want to spend a huge amount of money at the dealer having them figure it was something really easy but charging me deerely to do so....

I did note a comment in the manual about the checking the trottle linkage, but I am really unsure what or how to check it.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #2  
That was weird about your post vanishing. I had posed the question about a injector being partially clogged and causing it to not fire that cylinder all of the time.

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #3  
Is it a bad vibration. Feels like something is going to fly apart. Or is it a small vibration. Mirrors quiver. Do you feel it in your butt when you are in the seat. I would try to isolate the vibration. Keep trying different thing to see if the vibration gets better or worse. If the vibration gets worse as rpm's go up I would be looking at any thing that the engine turns. PTO, pulleys for the fan, the trans.(even if your not moving parts in the trans are).
Bill

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration
Is it a bad vibration. Feels like something is going to fly apart. Or is it a small vibration. Mirrors quiver. Do you feel it in your butt when you are in the seat. I would try to isolate the vibration. Keep trying different thing to see if the vibration gets better or worse. If the vibration gets worse as rpm's go up I would be looking at any thing that the engine turns. PTO, pulleys for the fan, the trans.(even if your not moving parts in the trans are).
Bill

When the vibration hits, it is like something is going to fly apart. Vibrates me in the seat. Of course I had 2 guys listen and then no vibrations were happening while they were listening. I have a experienced auto mechanic coming over tomorrow to take a look. I am in the process of downloading the tech manual fir the tractor and see if that gives any direction also.

Treemonkey, once I get the manual I will look up your idea on the injectors. One thing I have never done was add an injector cleaner in the fuel....maybe time to consider doing that on a regular basis

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #5  
Bill, I think your earlier post disappeared due to a mistake on my part. Since your question was brand specific; i.e., John Deere, I thought you might get more help if it were in the John Deere Owning/Operating forum so I was going to move it there and it disappeared. And I'm not sure what I did or how it happened. I was having very slow Internet responses at the time (my ISP; not TBN).

So I apologize, since it had to have been something I did.:eek:

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #6  
Does the vibration go away when you push the clutch in?

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #7  
The main driveshaft coming off the motor has a rubber coupling (vibration absorber) that may have cracked from age or overload. If broken or pieces have come out of it, the rubber isolation is gone and the engine torque pulses are going straight thru to the transmission. This is a visual inspection. Use a spot light. Its very easy to change and requires only a few wrenches. There are 3 bolts connecting the isolator to the transmission shaft and 3 to the engine portion. I bought a new one from eBay. A 3 cylinder motor with the isolator shot is quite a shaker !

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration #8  
Did this vibration just start when it got bitter cold? I would add some power service before I did any thing else. It has been sub zero the last 2 nights(-10 now) and there are more diesel pickups getting towed in than you could imagine. Bio diesel and cold weather don't mix and the stations don't have to post whether you are getting bio or #2 diesel.
Bill

/ JD 2210 Tractor Vibration
Bird,

No problem, its back and I am getting some responses and answers.

Today, after monkeying around with everything I found a couple of things.
1. The engine vibration was due to a little water in the fuel bowl right belwo the filter. I couldn't see it, so I took it off just in case and sure enough, an oz or so of water. Put it back together and the engine ran like a champ. I did get some injector cleaner put in for good measure but I am pretty sure the engine vibration issue is resolved.

2. Started looking around further after hearing another vibration (hpersensitive to it now). I finally got around to grabing and shaking the Hydrostatic output drive shaft, and it clunked around. The u-joints are bad. However, it is going to be a major job to get to it to replace the u-joints, the trans and everything has to be dropped. I recall some guys talking about dropping the trans to replace the trans cooler fan, so I will be basically doing the same thing. A buddy of mine want to see if we can get to it from under the floor so we will be taking that out tomorrow.

zzvyb6, after typing everything above, I saw your note and the tech manual does not discuss this rubber coupling you mentioned. I assume it is on the front side of the shaft next to the engine. Do you happen to have a picture? Where is the inspection site for it, I haven't found one yet other than possibly through the floor but I will be taking my cab off to do that. Please let me know, if that is what it is....it will save me a lot of work.