Chains chains on a Kubota B7800

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #1  

logan97

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 4/wd
is there enough room for chains to fit on a B7800 ?
Front 23. 8.50 / 14
Rear 12.4 - 16

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #2  
There is enough room on rear when used with R4 tires. The fronts would need to be reversed to fit - a practice that is not recommended by many. I'd just do rear and see how you do.
Good luck!
Mike

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #3  
Check your clearance between the inside of the fender and the tire. Less than 2" maybe too close to use chains unless a cable type chain or you tie down the ends of the chains very well so they don't flap. If you can reverse the rear tires good , but I think the tread is normally set at it's widest already. Many people have similar problems. Just use the chains and tie down the ends inside very well or look for wheel spacers which are hard to come by.

/ chains on a Kubota B7800
There is enough room on rear when used with R4 tires. The fronts would need to be reversed to fit - a practice that is not recommended by many. I'd just do rear and see how you do.
Good luck!
Mike

what size are your rear tires?

I am awaiting a B7800 2005 should be delivered within the next two weeks? we have snow and ice on our driveway (fairly steep,live in the Blue ridge Mtns)at the moment does not look like it is going anywhere soon ? should I get ballast or chains or just wait and see what and how it will handle in these conditions and make a decision from there? Also do you have any opinions regarding chains on the front 4WD?

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #5  
what size are your rear tires?

I am awaiting a B7800 2005 should be delivered within the next two weeks? we have snow and ice on our driveway (fairly steep,live in the Blue ridge Mtns)at the moment does not look like it is going anywhere soon ? should I get ballast or chains or just wait and see what and how it will handle in these conditions and make a decision from there? Also do you have any opinions regarding chains on the front 4WD?

I have 12.4-16 R4 on rear. There isn't much clearance, but enough that I'm comfortable. If you have R1 on rear, you'll have even more clearance. If you're in Blue Ridge, I'd have the tires loaded regardless - simply for the stability. Chains are really the best solution for ice.

In regards to chains on front, I'm a conservative and have opted to go without. I pay a penalty in traction but sleep well at night knowing I'm not putting excessive wear on front end parts.

Cheers!
Mike

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #6  
I done this back on 2-21-08 and has worked out good. I don't run chains, my trouble was red clay buildup, that went away.

For the guys that have no clearance with the R4 tires. You might want to do this, its real easy and saves $$$ too.
I was going to make some spacers but after looking at the flange of the front hub I didn't think it could handle the longer studs. The flange is right around 1/4" and sure wouldn't want to brake the hub. Tried turning the wheels around by switching from side to side, I didn't like that to much because it made my steering seem loose.
What I ended up doing was to grind the inside of wheel out. Moved it in 1 1/4" and rewelded. The 1 1/4" put the inside bolt flange in the center of the tire. There is about 1 1/2" clearance between the tire and the steering bracket. Worked out real good!!

Lee

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #8  
is there enough room for chains to fit on a B7800 ?
Front 23. 8.50 / 14
Rear 12.4 - 16

I've been using these 2 link ladder chains on a B7800 with R4s (12.4 - 16) for the past few years with no clearance issues, and they don't chew up the cement floor in my garage either. I snowblow my 530 ft. gravel driveway and my neighbors 100 ft. gravel driveway
both have hills at the end where they meet the main road. The first year snowblowing I tried -without- chains and I always had traction problems at the hilly end of both driveways. With chains I have no problem.
Good Luck

Attachments

• R4_2LinkLadder.jpg
    R4_2LinkLadder.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 399
   / chains on a Kubota B7800 #9  
I posted the same question two years ago and the consensus was to not bother with chains. My dealer said the same thing. I have had a few scary moments on the driveway with my B7800 R4s but managed to get by until recently. I have no flat areas on my 950 foot drive. It goes up steep from the road, then down into a ravine and back up the other side all the way up to the house. With really good scraping with the landscape blade, I can remove up to 6 inches of snow pretty reliably, mainly because I can get down to the gravel enough to get traction. But with the recent big snows (12 inch earlier in the week and now 17 inch here yesterday) I had to get out my insurance policy - a 5 foot 3pt snow blower that has been sitting in my garage for 2 years. I thought that I was all set and managed doing the drive for the 12 inches of snow, but I got stuck yesterday working in the 17 inches. There is jusst not enough traction w/o chains IMO, so my order is in as of today. I wonder if they have any left out there at tirechains.com???

Anyway, if you have lots of friends with tractors, and trucks, maybe you want to take a chance but I am on my own here pretty much and I should have ordered them sooner. If you have the cash, that is what I would recommend. I found that when you need them, you really need them!

/ chains on a Kubota B7800 #10  
Scary moments is all I would need to feel and I would get the chains. If you have an accident, you would be saying to yourself, "Why didn't I get the chains?"

I like scary moments sometimes, but not on a tractor.