R-4's on all four?

/ R-4's on all four? #1  

cchoate

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3430 HST
R-4\'s on all four?

If I were to put R-4's on my back wheels, should I put R-4's on the front also? Or, could I leave the turfs up front? I do use 4 wheel sometimes.

b7500hst
rear blade
dirt scoop
no fel (yet)

/ R-4's on all four? #2  
Re: R-4\'s on all four?

If your tractor is 4wdr then you need to consult your dealer to make sure that there will not be any problem with the drive ratios.

Otherwise, your tractor, your grass, dirt, gravel, or whatever your opperating on = your choice. You know your application and needs better than anyone else.

The main consideration on the tires on the front is that they are the proper size in relation to the rears on 4wdr. On 2wdr it doesn't much matter unless you go crazy on the size difference from the original.

Don

/ R-4's on all four? #3  

I run R-4's on all four on my Deere and it's recommended in my manual. I'd bet yours does, too. If you don't have a manual a simple call to your dealer ought to answer your question for you. I hope this helps.

/ R-4's on all four? #4  

i would think u would want to run the same tire on all four wheels, but check with your dealer.

/ R-4's on all four? #5  

<font color=blue>no fel (yet)</font color=blue>

As others have mentioned, you need to be concerned about maintaining the proper ratio between front and rear wheels on a 4WD. Another consideration is that when/if you do get an FEL, the R4 tires on the front are much better suited to this application than turfs. (Not to say you can't use turfs, people do it all the time, but R4's are more heavily constructed and should stand up better to heavy loads in the FEL).

John Mc

/ R-4's on all four? #6  

cchoate, I've got r-4's on my TC21d, which is close to the size of your tractor. I'm guessing that you should have the same tires on the front, and back. Other then the cost is there a reason for not putting them on the front? I know a lot of people are worried about R-4s on the front tearing up lawns, but I've found after removing my FEL, and using 2WD for mowing purposes, the front tires do not damage the grass. I've found when turning hard the rears are more of a worry. Just a bit of my experience , and I hope it helps. Kent

/ R-4's on all four? #7  

Kent:

You mentioned your rear tire are somewhat of a problem when mowing in 2 wheel drive. Try lowering your air pressure 5 to 7 lbs. It hook up a lot better.

/ R-4's on all four? #8  

Wow, Thanks Russ. I'll give that a shot. I'm grateful.
Kent