Tires Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires?

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #1  

sevilla

Silver Member
Tractor
L3830
Hello, finally I decided (almost): my Kubota L3830 will be picked up by the dealer to change position of the rear wheels in order to get clearance for tires chains. And here is my point. I have R4 ind. tires with a total rear width practically identical to that of the front end loader, about 72 inches. According to my estimate, changing position to the wheels will bring the total width to about 77-78 inches. Will this difference in width between the FEL and the rear wheels interfere negatively with the use of the FEL itself?

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #2  
Re: Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires?

No. I took my tractor to wide stance also and have had no issues. If you need chains why not get R1's instead of the R4's?

Chris

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires?

well, I already have R4. The problems I'm referring are related to road work, excavating a trail or road base.

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #4  

I always like to keep my FEL wider than my rear wheels. If you try to dig next to a building or something else, your wider set of wheels will prevent you from getting real close. When the bucket is wider than the rear tires, I don't have to be concerned with the rear tires hitting something. This is a common situation.

Also if you are digging out an area and don't want to dig wider than the bucket, the rear wheels won't follow well. One rear wheel could fall in the dug out area, tilt the FEL and not dig level. This is not a common scenario but could be and issue digging out a road, ditch ect.

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #5  

I agree with Chris....Make the move to R1's and the need for chains most likely will go away.

radman also makes some excellent points. If your tires are wider than your bucket your going to be operating on a tilt, often.

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #6  

Many, many larger Ag tractors with loaders have buckets a little narrower than their respective tread widths. I grew up driving a Deere 3020 that was nearly 8 feet wide with a 6 foot bucket. I currently own a Ford 4000 that is about 7 feet wide with a 6 foot bucket. In either case, I don't want a bigger bucket or a narrower tractor. In both cases, the front tread width was no wider than the bucket. When digging or scraping near a wall or curb, you learn to drive the tractor in a gentle arc which does just as good a job as mashing the rear wheel against a curb or wall. In the real world, front track width is far more important than a few inches of rear track width.

These guys are pretty handy at spending your money, recommending a complete swap of tire and wheel equipment. And dead wrong in telling you for certain that chains will be unnecessary with R-1 tires. For the price of a set of chains and whatever it takes to move your R-4's out a little, I'd try that first. The over/under on that outlay is a lot better.

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #7  

These guys are pretty handy at spending your money, recommending a complete swap of tire and wheel equipment. And dead wrong in telling you for certain that chains will be unnecessary with R-1 tires. For the price of a set of chains and whatever it takes to move your R-4's out a little, I'd try that first. The over/under on that outlay is a lot better.

Sound like he is ordering a new tractor so why not get it that way? I take it as he is asking before buying. Maybe I am wrong?

Chris

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #8  

Sound like he is ordering a new tractor so why not get it that way? I take it as he is asking before buying. Maybe I am wrong?

Chris

The way I read it, his current tractor is about to be transported to the dealership for a track width change and installation of chains.

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires?

No, I do not want to change the tractor but just have clearance for the tire chains. With the R4 now I have only 1 inch of clearance between the inside of the tire and the fender. I believe I'll go for the change in wheel position since my main goal is working in woods. Thanks, for the comments.

/ Problems using the FEL (72") with expanded width (78") of the rear tires? #10  

Many, many larger Ag tractors with loaders have buckets a little narrower than their respective tread widths.

This was common on old tractors and loaders. Even our older tractors from the early 70's had loader buckets as wide or wider than the rear tires. This is not how modern FELs and tractors are set up. The modern exception would be a tractor with duals.